DIY Audio Speaker for High School Students

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's one. ...as a side benefit, they can learn French in the process. If you google Paul W. Paddock, you can find all of the patents that explain the principles...just don't use neodymium magnets - that could get ugly.

Also, take a look at ESLs, planars, alternative technologies on this forum. You'll find all kinds of physics to be taught...again, some may be a little spicy in this day of hair trigger litigation.

These designs are a bit too complex for the Gr 11 kids. Unfortunately due to the high demands of the curriculum, they will not have enough time to absorb this material and be able to build the audio speaker in time if it is this complex :(

Thank you for your help tho

philco1,

I wonder if you really read my suggested design. It will be the second easiest hi-fi speaker to construct and this design is proven by builders all over the world. Just amazing what you can get out of a 38 x 20 " wood piece and some more components.

However I will give also the simplest hi-fi speaker to build. For the baffle take a piece of wood, ply, mdf or multiplex and build a baffle according to this plan: http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/open.htm . Then for the speaker choose Goldwood GW-8003/8 available at PartsExpress for $ 17.55 if you buy 4 or more http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=290-379 and put that on the indicated place and you are ready. Only to connect to the amplifier, plus to plus and minus to minus. You will be surprised of the result, I am sure.

Trying to build something out of a paper plate is of course intriguing but probably not very easy and certainly not hi-fi. But I admit it will give good knowledge about loudspeaker functioning. But as a good teacher you could give the same insight by slaughtering one loudspeaker unit and present its different parts and the funcioning of them.

/Erling

philco1 said:
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any good plans // resources for building an Audio Speaker with a Grade 11 Physics Class.

I've looked around and the only good website I've found is
http://www.josepino.com/other_projects/?homemade-hifi-speaker.jpc

Does anyone here know of any other web sites which show simple projects to make an Audio Speaker??

Thanks!!
As a teacher, I have to ask, What is your objective in having the students build a speaker? What concepts would you like them to learn? What is the level of complexity (or how long do the students have, and what do you expect it to cost)? I can then guide you to a project that will help you in your lesson.

-Paul

As another collegue I raise ther same question. I think most satisfaction will be provided by building a loudspeaker that also is sounding as a really good loudspeaker. If so, I am certain that your skill will build also a good understanding of what a loudspeaker does and how it does it at least concening cone speakers.

/Erling

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.