Self Installation in 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I know a fair amount about electronics, but apparently not enough to install a stereo in my car properly. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

The story so far:

I own a 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It had stock Delco speakers (two 6" [I think it's 6"] speakers up front with two tweeters, and two 6x9's in the back behind the backseat headrests), and I set out to replace the deck and then the speakers.

The deck:

Stock deck in the car, so I removed it to put in a newer stereo deck, which is a JVC KD-AR200, 200W CD player and tuner. I got the kit for the deck to fit my car (which is something like a DDR2 - the double-tall kind), and that fits fine. I got the harness for it, and so now the tiny black pinset goes to the JVC and large blue pinset goes to the innards of the car. I read up on the wiring of everything, and soldered each wire and closed it with shrink tubing. The main problem is that I ended up with three extra wires from the car harness. One is orange (w/ white stripe) and says positive dimmer. One is dark blue with stripe and says amp turn-on. The third is black with a stripe and says amp ground. I asked around and heard from one or two people something about needing to bypass the in-car amplifier (after hooking up the new deck, power goes to it and is turned on, but won't play music through the speakers). I don't know if it makes a difference, but there are steering wheel controls that apparently go through the heat/AC unit and then to the stereo (I had wondered if the extra wires could correspond to something having to do with that).

I also want to install a single sub (already in a box). Now I didn't think that I needed an amplifier for just the deck, and thought that I would be able to put that in after soldering the harness wires without the amp. I do have an amplifier - it's a Majestic MA 760C amp, 200 watts. It says it is bridgeable. Now, I had it tested and they said one of the four terminals (can't remember which) is broken, but if it is used bridged, then it works fine. However, I haven't even gotten to the point to try to use it yet.

So there's the info. I can't get past these extra wires thing, because that seems to be the main problem for the deck not working when I put it in. If anyone has any answers, let me know!

After I get this figured out, then I'll move on to the amp and sub and replacing the 6x9's, but the deck is the priority.

Thanks!

Ryan Spencer

Connect the Blue/White wire coming from the car to the Blue/White wire on the back of your deck. That will turn the amp on and you WILL have sound.

The broken terminal of the amp may or may not be a problem. If the 2 bridge terminals are not broken you will be OK. The Blue/White wire of the deck also needs to be connected to the remote terminal of the amp along with the blue/white wire on the car harness.

The orange/white stripe is the dimmer wire. You hook that wire to the brown/white wire comming from the car's wiring harness. You dont have to hook it up if u dont want only thing that wire does is it will dim the lights on the cd player at night when u turn your headlights on if u want that then hook it up as described.

The blue/white stripe wire from the wiring harness connets to the remote turn on wire from your cd player which is also blue i believe.

The last wire black/white stripe connect that to a ground wire if im not mistaken and then try your cd player it should work

The speaker size in the front is 5 1/4" i do believe

wiring...

okay, so the blue/white from the deck i had hooked up to the plain blue on the harness, which says power antenna. if i connect the blue/white to the other blue/white, what do i do with the solid blue? leave it? connect it somewhere else? put them both to the same blue/white?

and i don't care about the dimmer, so i'll leave the orange/white unattached to anything. and then finally what do i do with the black/white amp ground? i realize i need to ground it, but where do i find that? do i just do a certain metal part inside the console area somewhere?

thanks...

Attachments

• dsc02632 (small).jpg
    dsc02632 (small).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 82
the plain blue wire goes to a power antenna if u dont have one leave that wire alone. The other 2 wires blue/white stripe should connect together one wire should say remote and the othe should say amp turn on connect thosse 2 together. and the black/white wire connect that to the same black wire as your cd player as said in the post above

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.