Sugestions for bookshelf speakers to build with my new tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I'm looking for some sugestions on building a pair of bookshelfs for my new tube amp. The amp is a Yaqin MC-10L. It's an integrated 52W x 2 ultralinear amp that uses EL34 tubes. I'll be using a powered 8 inch velodyne sub to fill in the bottom end. I've never built by own speakers before, but I have decent working knowledge of audio. It will be set up in my office which is about 14 x 16 feet. My listening distance will be about 5-6 feet.

I've been looking at a few projects on parts express the first is the "V-D" Vifa-Dayton 2-way monitors. Parts cost less cabinet cost is $231.88

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=vd

Another project is the Encore. At a parts cost of $302.09
This may be a good project as the conclusion describes it as a laid back accurate sound, which I prefer. I don't want anything "bright". The plan also calls for a sealed enclosure which works well with a sub.

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=Encore

I was also considering the Morchellas. Which has a parts cost of $459.95 which is a bit more than I want to spend.

I'm looking to spend about $300.00 for parts, not including the materials to build the cabinet. Has anyone had any experience with any of these projects? Does anyone have any recomendations on other projects. I do like the easy and simplicity of adding all the parts to the cart on parts express.

Another one to throw on your list is the Zaph SR71. He adds an impendance matching circuit that you could throw in to help with your tube amplifier. It might be a little higher than your budget. I did mine for just over $300 without the impedance matching circuit. I just finished them and love them. I think they do a great job. I did not follow his specs exactly because I did not round over the edges. I prefer my look the way I did it. You wouldn't have to go crazy with the cabinets.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sorry, I mispoke. I did not mean an impedance matching circuit, but an impedance flattening circuit. Here is the quote from Zaph's site:

"Most of the impedance curves shown in this design reflect an impedance flattening circuit. It's not required however and can be removed without any effect if you are using a solid state amplifier. Since this is a relatively sensitive speaker, usage of the impedance flattening circuit could be useful to those who are using tube amplifiers. "

The veneer is block mottle anigre with airless applied lacquer finish.

Hi Guytute,

I would recommend the Encore - I have used the Dayton RS150S-8 in a 2-way with the SEAS 27TBFC/G tweeter and can vouch for it as a very high performance/high value driver. The Dayton tweeter is of a similar high value, though if you're interested my crossover design was done by Jay_WJ (do a search here) and he can send it to you - I don't have it electronically anymore because the hard drive on my old computer died.

You'd need to get the SEAS tweeters of course, but if you're not familiar with them they are one of the best out there at any price, and a great match with the Daytons.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Encore at this point. I like the sealed design as Ill be using a sub with this set up. I was wondering what would be the best way to apply the lacquer. I have a new air gun and a compressor. Ive never used the spray gun. Its the standard type spray gun that comes with the compressor bundle I got. What steps should I follow? Would you recommend using a sealer first? Should I sand between coats?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.