Zigmahornet with Tube powered Ipod Dock

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jhovis, I have the same amp, sold under the name "Dared MP5" and I think it has 8 watts or so. I'm using it with the FE127eN which have a sensitivity of 91db. The FE103E's have a sensitivity of 89db. I notice that I had much more crank with larger Fostex drivers (which tend to be much more sensitive, e.g. 95db).

For me, it's enough power at 91db (FE127eN) in a 11x11 foot room, but would not rock out in a larger room because the amp clips. Also, as discussed in the threads planet10 links to, the Ziggies are somewhat obsolete (see the Vampyr enclosure later in the first thread which is a better optimized similar enclosure).

But what is fantastic is the imaging on these small drivers on a narrow baffle, so the Ziggy concept lives. I'm using little 5-liter BR boxes with a variety of little Fostex drivers and they really do image like crazy. I'm using a sub to get a little more volume out of them (i.e., by rolling off the bass to the small Fostex drivers, they can play a bit louder).

I think you'll like the sound of the amp, it's just a question of how efficient your speakers are. Good luck and post what you end up doing.

I built a Zigmahornet (with a straight top) with fe103e and use it with a amp from old computerspeakers and it works great (except for a thump at power on but thats another story). Tried it with my Rotel preamp/amp and it sounded ok, I like the sound of the speakers. But they actually sound better on my comp. Probably due to the closeness and placement of the speakers. And smaller space to work in.

I lowered 600-3000Hz a bit and that made a huge difference, they where a bit harsh before. The bass is nice and smooth but not zaggy, really accurate. Midrange really nice (after adjustment) and clear. Dont really miss anything at high frequences, they roll of little sooner than "traditional" speakers but everything is there. Doesn't matter if I play Metallica, Cowboy Junkies or Mikhail Pletnev, it sounds good.

Maybe I had a luck of a draw building them and the amp fits like a glow but I'm very happy. Never had this kind of sound quality at my comp. before.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.