No luck with A Brown's Hemptone drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been intrigued by A Brown Soun's line of hemp coned drivers especialy the 8" ES and the 6.5" FR but I can find absolutely no information on them. If they were not so expensive I would perhaps be willing to take a leap of faith with a pair but at over $260 it ain't happening. I sent an email inquiring about these products but it wen't unaswered so I called , after waiting on hold for a while and getting passed around to a 3rd person I learned 3 things. #1. They do exist and are available #2. They are $120-$130 bucks a piece #3. "Yeah, nobody knows much about these..". After a while my phone quite so I called back to apologize but they weren't interested in talking so I got nothing. Has anybody here used any of these drivers? Anybody have any info on them? I still have some interest in them though I'm a little leary of doing business with these jokers.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
There have been specs on drivers, but they are gone now
Well, I guess fore an open back guitar amp it doesnt matter much
Obviously they are all intended to be used in open back "vintage like" boxes
So, back to OB...and most likely only the alnicos will do :D

Ha, on "Super Boy" bass it says "specs 8ohm/16ohm"
On the latest 15" it says "specs coming soon"...man, how hard can it be to write 8ohm/16ohm...that makes me smile

I was under the impression Omega has been using these drivers for a little while so I'm not sure why there is so much secrecy about the specs and FR graphs. The 8"FR seems to be nearly identical to Hemp Accoustic's 8" full range driver, slightly different cone material and more expensive. I suppose its the principal too, when I called I was just finishing up a long day working out on Block Island, 5 hours by van+2 hours by boat + 3 hours of work and to "hear" the person on the other end of the phone rolling their eyes as you ask a few basic questions is just too much :xeye: Hey Planet10, can you recomend any 8" full/extended range drivers, vintage or otherwise? The Saba's seem to have a strong following but they aren't cheap.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
S.Spielbergo said:
I was under the impression Omega has been using these drivers

Omega had their very own drivers made under licence. They only superficially resemble the driver available from tone tubby.

The 8"FR seems to be nearly identical to Hemp Accoustic's 8" full range driver, slightly different cone material and more expensive.

HA claim their driver is made with some proportion of canabis hemp. No one is willing to tell us whether the TT drivers are manila hemp as in the preferred receipe in their patent ap (it will be a real crime if they get the patent as every kind of paper in existance was used for speakers of yore, canabis hemp made the best paper in its day, and the substitutes (ie after canabis was made illegal so that dupont could sell nylon), like manila, jute etc would have been used after. Wood as a raw material for paper is only a fairly recent phenomena.

As to HA i am boycotting them due to their less than stellar business ethics.

Hey Planet10, can you recomend any 8" full/extended range drivers, vintage or otherwise? The Saba's seem to have a strong following but they aren't cheap.

I've been selling quite a few FE206eN & FE207eN, i know the Visaton is good, and then you start getting into the big buck drivers.

Lots of vintage stuff out there that is really good value for the dollar, but i haven't run into anything* that is really really good on an absolute scale *(at least that i've seen more than one of -- a couple solitary instances of Corals, and a pair of Atomix that still stick in my mind)

The lastest disappointment were some ferrite magnet Wharfedale Super 8s.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.