Constant Directivity Horn EQ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im also thinking about this. Even tought about building a dac with lotsa voltage out and with a dc servo and protection,
- then connect the compression driver directly.

If you raise the eq curve ( high shelf with given parameters) the eq algorithm is multiplying the audio data. I think PC does this better because of 64bit precision, and the high frequency content is always lower volume than the LF, so the DAC (16bit in my case, 4x oversampling though) sees more data, less signal falls into the critical "low level" area.

One can also have auto mute in PC, so I dont realy think about buying a behringer.

You have to pad down the compression driver to begin with. Passive is very flexible if you have the measurent and software for the crossover. Once you do the curve and get it correct your done. All you need to do is get a copy of the crossover for a speaker that uses the horn you want to use and take a look. It will at least point you in the right direction if you don't have any design software.

Those canned compensation curves are approximations not exact for a particular horn. To do it right you need a specific curve to fit the horn and that can change depending on the crossover point and attenuation required.

Rob:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.