Howdy all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So Ive found myself lurking on this forum for too long. Figured Id come out into the light and say Hi.

Until recently I had never thought about making speakers. I must have thought it was some sort of voodoo. Ended up stumbling onto Martin Kings site. Then here.

Got really inspired. Ended up building a pair of BIBs with some 4" Tang Band drivers. They are playing in my living room as I type this. Not only are these my first speakers but really my first "I built that myself and I dont need to hide it away in the garage" anythings. Fantastic! Even my wife loves them.

So now I find myself with a few new tools and a stack of fresh BB ply staring at me. Cant help think that the bedroom needs a new pair of speakers... Maybe Ill move the BiBs in there and build a new 'something else' for the living room!

MrKramer

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi MrKramer - and Welcome to diyAudio. :D

Advise - seeing as how you are living in or near the heart of "shake and bake" country (i.e. earthquake) I would warn you against going after some of the 7 ft. - 450 lbs (each) monster speaker designs unless you can brace them securely to the walls - floors - ceilings, etc. :clown:

How 'bout some photo's of you little masterpiece?

Thanks,
Been more worried about fires than earthquakes. We had a real bad one here just recently. While I was evacuating the house I stopped for a moment in front of the speakers. My wife gave me that look like "youve got to be kidding me".
Happy to say the family, the house and the speakers all survived.

As for what Im making next...not really sure yet. I do have 2 more of the TB bamboos. I really like the sound of them in the midrange. Had a thought that I could make a 3-way using them as an extended mid.

I think it needs to have a nice wide baffle as well. There are an awful lot of 'skinny' speakers out there. Figure Ill try something different.

Until then, Ill dig out my camera and take a pic of the BIBs.

MrKramer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.