• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help from Allen Wright SuperReg owner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got 2 used SuperReg partially filled boards with only a few doc. I understand that this is Allen's commercial product. So, I won't go too far to discuss about the circuit. I just wanted to confirm the parts that I am going to use are correct.

1. According to one of the doc which is an email from Allen, I think these boards were no newer than 2002, and another doc is a silkscreen of the board that has some parts values. The opamp (IC2) is LF351 which can be purchased but probably low on performance. An suggestion for a replacement?
2. Is C5 used. These is no value in the silkscreen.
3. Is R1 1 meg? One of the boards stuffed 2 x 1-meg in series which makes it a
2-meg. The other board has nothing there.
4. Is C10 47uF/63V? In it's place, there is a 10pF ......
5. The ground trace of pin 4 of the opamp is cut, not sure why. I suppose it shouldn't
be that way, correct?

Thanks!!

By looking at the picture in Allen's site, I am able to answer Q2, Q3, and Q4. Common sense also tells me that cut trace in Q5 shouldn't be done that way.
For Q1, I found another member mentioned AD797 to replace the lowly LF351. So a little bump to see anyone can help on whichever opamp I can use instead of the LF351?

Thanks!!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Have you directly contacted Allen? Given you own his boards he'd probably help you out with at least the docs...

In the cookbook he talks about upgradng the op-amp but to be careful with oscillation... another trick i've heard mentioned is replacing the LM317 with a resister after the current has been dialed in in your circuit.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.