Tripath 300W for real?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering putting together one of the 41Hz kits. I've searched the forum, but I've found conflicting information. So here are my questions:

Power: The site claims up to 300W per channel for a couple of their amps (AMP2, Truepath, etc.). Do these little circuits really deliver that much power with the appropriate transformer, or is this hype?

Sound quality: Some posts claim that the class T's deliver "audiophile" quality. Others say that you shouldn't expect these circuits to deliver much in terms of sound quality. I'm really just looking for something that will drive a couple of homebrew 2 way bookshelf speakers (Parts Express Dayton projects) with sound quality at least approaching halfway decent commercial amplifiers at somewhere around 85 to 90 dB. Will any of these Tripaths fit the bill?

I have built valve and solid state class A guitar amps. But I like the idea of high efficiency audio amp that will fill a small room and doesn't put out a lot of heat. But these circuits seem awfully tiny to deliver the power/fidelity claimed. What's the real story?

I have built 2 amp9, a amp10b and several amp32 and amp10b fits your description.

You could also consider biamping with 1 amp9.

The sound is very warm and detailed and I especially like the very dark background and wide soundstage on these amps.

I have not tested the wattage rating as I don't know how nor have the equipment, but the amp32 for example is rated at approximately 2x15 watts at 4ohm 0,01%THD as far as I remember, and it plays fairly loud (80% of what you would need on 85-90dB speakers and enough for "normal" use) although being "thumb-size".

So I'm quite confident that amp10b or 9b (@24v or so) would give you plenty of undistorted power.

Good luck with your project (expecting pictures ;) )

taxtelle said:
Do these little circuits really deliver that much power with the appropriate transformer, or is this hype?

Others say that you shouldn't expect these circuits to deliver much in terms of sound quality.

... these circuits seem awfully tiny to deliver the power/fidelity claimed. What's the real story?

They work! Promise.

Part of the reason they're so outlandishly small, I guess, is that transistors are more effective when they're completely off or completely on - there's less waste heat. Class D amps utilize this. You end up with the same power at the speakers, but much less heat escaping from the amp. That's how you get them to be so small.

It's the same principle as with power supplies. Remember how power bricks from 10-20 years back were large, heavy and hot? And now things like laptop power supplies are small, light and cool? It's the same principle, and with some clever design the sound quality is also excellent.

If you're sceptical, build an an Amp6-BASIC or try to find a T-Amp to listen to. (The T-Amp is severely handicapped out of the box though.)

I agree with kristleifur.

I would like to say, though, that in my oppinion you get much better SQ with the amp9 than the amp3/amp6 and it's not that expensive compared to the two minis.
I haven't listened to the amp6, only several amp32's and compared to the amp32, the amp9 is more relaxed, more "musical" and has better dynamics.

And then you can bi-amp and run very low impedances also.

In my ears the amp9 i very, very good compared to its cost and broad useability.

Thank you all so very much. You have been extremely helpful and gracious. I expected a few "search the forum" replies.

It looks like the AMP10 for me since it has the onboard PS and I don't have to worry about screwing up the bi-amp. The forum seems to like the Antek 3222 trannie for amp10, so I will go with that. Once again, sincere thanks for your help. I will not hesitate to come back if (when) I run into a snag.

Also keep the 41Hz.com forums in mind - they aren't perfect, but there's a lot of concentrated information and experienced builders there. Worth an additional visit if there's trouble.

You're probably going to have some component value questions w.r.t. setting feedback and suchlike, though I don't envision you encountering much trouble given your experience.

taxtelle said:

Power: The site claims up to 300W per channel for a couple of their amps (AMP2, Truepath, etc.). Do these little circuits really deliver that much power with the appropriate transformer, or is this hype?

Sound quality: Some posts claim that the class T's deliver "audiophile" quality. Others say that you shouldn't expect these circuits to deliver much in terms of sound quality. Will any of these Tripaths fit the bill?

I have built valve and solid state class A guitar amps. But I like the idea of high efficiency audio amp that will fill a small room and doesn't put out a lot of heat. But these circuits seem awfully tiny to deliver the power/fidelity claimed. What's the real story?
oooo yeeeeeeeaaaaa, yes it does, amp2, you can find my build here, +/- 60v, into 4R ~400w, I did drive 2R too, not full tilt of cource

Sound from them is outstanding, fullrange with no problems...I am no expert on SQ but sound was really nice, well it still is :D

Real story? they can if you would ask me...

power amps

Hi there Taxtelle,

Class D amplifiers are very suitable for high power, as they are very efficient, using PWM to switch mosfets on or off, Mosfets are very good at this, and can handle enormous currents.

as soon as you have a good driver circuitry, you can simply select a powerfull and fast switching mosfet, and this way create an amplifier that can go well over 500 watts.

Some smart designers have made over one kilowatt amps with the TA3020, and there are others like Hypex, Fumac with his MHZ class D and many more to choose from.

Greetings,

Arjen Helder

col please respond

You said that your running the amp 9 from 41 hz. I want to make a 6-8 channel home theater amp but I want the sound quality everyone's goign on about from the super T or trends. Does your amp have this same sound quality? I've seen some posts saying 41hz stuff isn't as good as the others is this true? Help I would like to make a 6 or 8 channel system with perhapse 30watts plus per channel ideally and the same Super T/ trend sound quality any suggestions.

In my opinion the 41Hz kits have better quality than both the trends and super-T on direct comparison. Especially the BASIC versions with shielded inductors instead of wirewound ones have much better soundstage than those two. They also use far better components than either in most places, and as kits you have the choice of putting in even more exotic/matched ones to get an even better result if you like.

I've never had a problem with a 41hz kit but I can understand some people that have problems could be frustrated. the solution is to check the forum on their website, changes are high someone else has had a similar problem before.

scott262: You said that your running the amp 9 from 41 hz. I want to make a 6-8 channel home theater amp but I want the sound quality everyone's goign on about from the super T or trends. Does your amp have this same sound quality? I've seen some posts saying 41hz stuff isn't as good as the others is this true? Help I would like to make a 6 or 8 channel system with perhapse 30watts plus per channel ideally and the same Super T/ trend sound quality any suggestions.

The sound quality of the 41hz amp9-basic is exemplary. It would be very easy to build a 8 channel version using two modules. Also, look for the 24v, 350W, 14.5A Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS) that are on Ebay to power them with, you would need two if you going to use them full power. something like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...kparms=algo=SI&its=I&itu=CR%2BUCI&otn=4&ps=42

when your kits arrive make sure you read the 41hz amp9 forums before you start assembly. The assembly instructions are a bit rough and there is a lot of info in the forums. Especially, read V-bro postings on soldering the diodes.

col.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.