6 ohm to 8 ohm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well, it's worth a try, of course. You will lose some level with 2 ohms in series and you may end up with a "fatter" sounding bass - depending on the ampli and the loudspeaker.

Be sure to use power resistors. At least 20 watts. Be carefull, they may get hot! :hot:

tisba it's sure the protection of your amp is wrong.
6ohm loudspeakers to a 8ohm loudspeaker, without lose audio quality?
it's sure again that will lost audio quality. but i ever saw the xo of some brand in speaker UK use likes this but they use with the woofers. tisba i ever did with my passive sub. i feel that the dynamic would be drop.

:) TW

Dear all,

I tryed to measure the impedence of my Diamonds 8.2 loudspeakers using a multimeter and I measured 3.8 ohm on both the loudspeakers (even if they should be 6 ohm).

My question is: is it normal having 3.8 ohm if the label of the loudspeakers says 6 ohm? Is there a way to check if the loudspeakes is working correctly or if it has some problems?
In my opinion, it's very strange to have 3.8 ohm when the loudspeakers should be 6 ohm. In addition, I have other 6 ohm loudspeakers (Panasonic) and, as you can see in the attached images, I measured 6 ohm exactly (in fact, using the Panasonic loudspeakers I don't have any protection problems).

Please, have a look to the attached image. Wharfedale is on the left, Panasonic on the right.

I'm looking forward to reading your reply
Regards

Attachments

• loudspeakers2.jpg
    loudspeakers2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 142
When you measure with an ohm meter you are measuring the
DC resistance. In speaker terms this is called re. The re for a speaker is almost always a lot lower than the rated impedience for example for example using an 8 ohm JBL 2123H. This 8ohm driver will measure 4.2ohms when you use an ohm meter because this is the DC resistance. The 8ohm rating is a nominal AC impedience, the combination of this DC resistance and the inductance of the voice coil this varries a lot with the frequency.

Thank you for your reply.
I'm very confused :confused: because:

- If I connect the 6 ohm Wharfedale loudspeakers (the 3.8 ohm one with the multimeter) to the front outputs, the amplifier go to protection mode

- If I connect the 6 ohm Panasonic loudspeakers (the 6 ohm one with the multimeter) to the front outputs, the amplifier works.

- If I connect a Wharfedale and a Panasonit to the front outputs, the amplifier works.

So, it seems a problem related to the both Wharfedale loudspeakers. But:

- If I connect the 6 ohm Wharfedale loudspeakers to the surround outputs, the amplifier works perfectly

Last, but not least, I added a 4 ohm resistor (see post #4) to the Wharfedale loudspeakers and I connected them to the front outputs: it works without protection!

In your opinion, which is the reason why the apli go to protection mode?

"which is the reason why the ampli go to protection mode?" - the amp can't handle the low speaker impedance, you've proved that comprehensively

"it seems a problem related to the both Wharfedale loudspeakers" - no, it's an amp problem

Either change the amp, have it serviced (in post 3 you say the problem is only in one channel?), or use higher impedance speakers.

What amp is it?

Well,
the ampli is Harman Kardon AVR 3550

The protection problem occurs when I connect both the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 loudspeakers to both the outputs of the ampli.

Take into account that the ampli has 8ohm outputs and the loudspeakers are 6 ohm, compliant with 8 ohm aplifier (has written both in the loudspeaker's manual and in Wharfedale web site).

I was using this configuration for 4/5 years without problems. I suppose that, in these years, the front outputs have lost their "tollerance" to my 6 ohm loudspeakers. Infact, if I connect them to the surround outputs, the ampli works. Isn't it?

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.