What CDP/DAC's used the TDA1541 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.pl?forum=tweaks&n=58399&highlight=cd960&r=&session=

Here you are:

Philips CD160,CD360,CD460,CD650,CD960,CD371,CD373,CD471,CD472,CD473,
CD207,CD782 (possibly branded 'Magnavox' in USA?)

Marantz CD56,CD65,CD40,CD50,CD60,CD80

Rotel RCD820

Sony CDP-750 (Believe it or not! although the 4x O/S circuit is different from the Philips setup)

Cambridge Audio CD3 (No less than 4 TDA1541's in this one!)

Proton AC300 II (This is a new one on me...I was lucky to pick one up this weekend at a carboot, full working order for £10 (US$15)...nice build and ripe for tweaking)

And the Philips CD-880.

Some of these players have killer transports (CD-880, CD-960, Marantz CD-80 etc.). I wouldn't rip the chip out of them!!! Install new and good caps, new clock, some mechanical mods and a brand new output stage and you'll be fine...
(and the non-os mod of course ;-)

Fedde

robbie said:

Fedde ;-)

For some reason people tend to spell my name wrong. Freddie, Fredde etc... :-(

robbie said:

what about the laser and its possible replacement?
i have thought much the same and have looked at older naims with this in mine.

Good point. I forgot about that. The lasers are quite old and will need replacement within a few years (or months). Replacements are HARD to find. If anyone knows I replacement for my CDM-1 of the Philips CD-960 !? You could buy two players or rip out the dac and add a CS8412 receiver when the CD-P dies...

Fedde

Fedde
sorry about the miss spelling of your name..
i have had a look at this ,i have a meridan pro which i have thought about playing with,but merdian have said there are no more lasers so that came to an end ( didnt want to damage laser while playing and mess up the whole thing)
have you had any experiments with modding players?
i have scott nixons dac which i like alot,and am looking a gudio tents dac ,the idea being to fit them both into one unit.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
If the CDrom is made in 1996 it will probably have TDA1543(A) and not TDA1541A.

Old Aristona, Erres and Magnavox cd-players had the chip as well. Sony CDP-M95 and CDP-950 have it. Old Arcams have it.

I wouldn't recommend the non os mod just like that. You will have to change the whole output circuitry when you do. Most don't do that and the endresults of removing SAA7220 will be disappointing after all. Better make an external non os DAC instead and let the player be 4 x Fs.

Decouple the SAA7220 very good. Preferably OSCON or the like. Stupid but effective mod: solder a solid core wire over the ground track on the main PCB !
Grounding is not the strongest point in old Philips players and soldering the wire will make a cheap and very effective mod...

I wouldn't recommend the non os mod just like that. You will have to change the whole output circuitry when you do. Most don't do that and the endresults of removing SAA7220 will be disappointing after all. Better make an external non os DAC instead and let the player be 4 x Fs.

Decouple the SAA7220 very good. Preferably OSCON or the like. Stupid but effective mod: solder a solid core wire over the ground track on the main PCB !
Grounding is not the strongest point in old Philips players and soldering the wire will make a cheap and very effective mod...

What is changed/should be changed to the output stage of a 1541A based player? The filters? How? Messing with a mission PCM II at the moment. Non os done and I think I like it apart from a certain hardness occasionall shrill sound in the highs on complex material.

Do you mean the ground track below the SAA7220? IE, you solder it on top of the track to create a chunkier mass of earth plane perhaps with lower resistance?

Thanks
G

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.