Upgrade 250v caps for tube mic.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

First post!

I'm upgrading a modern Chinese tube mic ( replacing output transformer with a decent one, NOS tube etc) and I wonder if anyone has recommendations for really good quality 250v electrolytic caps in values 2.2uf and 1uf. I haven't seen any BGs, Elna, etc in those values and specified voltage . There is also a 22ufd 25v cap but that value is easy to find from the various audio electrolytic makers.

I haven't yet tried to draw out the schematic for the mic, as the components are crammed onto a small pcb, and I'm not fast at reverse-engineering. However, one of the two caps mentioned above should be the DC blocking cap for the primary of the mic output transformer, so replacing the cheap-and -cheerful caps should definitely improve matters sonically.

I was also wondering if I could replace the dc blocking cap with a non-electrolytic type to further upgrade the sonics here, but seem to recall reading that to go down that road might require changing values. There are size constraints for non-electrolytics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.