Any diff if in F3: Plitron vs. Avel Lindberg?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased an F3 clone second hand. Very excited about this. Is there any material difference for the F3 if the transformer is Avel Lindberg Y236752 330VA versus the Plitron that ships with the F3?

Reason I ask, is that I asked if it was a Plitron and the answer was "Yes". Thanks for your feedback.

The Avel transformer in my BOSOZ is as quite as a church mouse. The Antek in my A30 amp buzzed something aweful, until I tracked the source of the buzz to a CFL light bulb on my front porch. Turned off the CFL porch bulb, and poof! the buzz in the amp disappeared.

Lesson learned... Some other AC appliance can cause issues with a hifi set-up. Just another thought to consider.

-David

spzzzzkt said:
I'm using trafo's wound by Harbuch on chunky Antrim cores in my A30. Nice and quite until someone is using an device that messes with the AC - hair dryers and electric heaters are culprits. Antrim were pretty popular in the UK hifi industry for a long time so should be a good quality alternative.

http://www.antrimtransformers.com/

This is the problem; it shouldnt.

I have a simple AC filter on top of my ac distributor and never experienced such issues with any SS amplifier that I have used.

Or is the F3 as sensitive to power as a 300B SET?

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
Have you actually found any trafo that isn't effected by perbutations on the powerlines?

The obvious answer is to filter as you have done. The filtering is going to remove any junk on the power lines before it hits the trafo so you wouldn't expect any buzzing.

JC Fardo said:

Hello ssmith

This is happening also to my custom Toroid´s. Could you please clarify "sorted". Do you mean "completely solved"? ;)

Sorry, I´m not native in English.

Are these DC Traps rated for high (10A) current?

Thanks and best regards

The problem I had is that there is DC on the mains -- which I discovered here is a cause of buzzing transformers. The buzzing got worse when I switched on ceiling fans.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I opted for Per-Anders' PCBs (although the circuit is so simple it can easily be made point-to-point), and yes, that fixed the problem. No more buzzing.

For the maximum continuous current of this circuit, it depends what capacitors you use. I suggest you send a mail to Per Anders for further details -- I'm not an expert. I wouldn;t hesitate to recommend his PCB's by the way -- they are very nice quality.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.