Center channel with one mid

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Nope, just aesthetics. In fact, it's actually very detrimental to off-axis response, much like a usual vertical MTM is, except with a center channel it's a lot worse because it's horizontal, so off-axis response in the horizontal plane will be affected instead of vertical. On top of all that, not only is it best to have the center channel identical to the left and right channels, but it should also ideally have good off-axis response anyway to cover the seating area of the room/theater. So, yes.. the common dual mid center channel with horizontal orientation is complete BS, and it only hurts performance. Strictly aesthetics.

And x2 what pelanj said.

Buzzy said:
I have always seen center channel speakers come with 2 midbass drivers and a tweeter. Is there any reason for this other than aesthetic reason.

Can i build a center channel with just one midbass and tweeter ?

Aesthetically, a wide & low enclosure with symmetrical layout is the best, and having 2 midbass drivers also increases maximum output.
You will get lobing in the horizontal axis, but that can be mitigated with close driver spacing and a low crossover point.

A vertical MT gives the optimum horizontal axis performance, but then you can end up with a tweeter thats too high/low relative to the main speakers. Imaging may suffer. It also usually limits practical placement and can look a bit odd.

The optimum setup is 2 channel (as Lynn pointed out) IF you are sitting precisely between the L & R speakers. If not, a centre channel will probably give you a better image, and better vocal coherency.

My recent Oliver design is a compromise of all these factors.

Since you are the designer, you can choose the optimum tradeoffs for your situation. To start with, decide whether the centre-channel will be situated below or above the TV.

Alternate - a single 3" - 4" wide range driver with proper filtering (usually BSC & notch filter). Since the CC speaker is primarily for voice many decent wide range drivers will work very well to reproduce the range of the human voice. Simpler & cheaper design also.

sdclc126 said:
Alternate - a single 3" - 4" wide range driver with proper filtering (usually BSC & notch filter). Since the CC speaker is primarily for voice many decent wide range drivers will work very well to reproduce the range of the human voice. Simpler & cheaper design also.

I think this is a great idea but i don't know how it will match with my mission m32i mains.

I can't put the single midbass and tweeter speaker vertically as i am putting it on top of my projection tv. That will make it look weird.

Rear projection CRT? I'm assuming there's some space underneath the screen then? Build a short stand, and put it there. :)

Make the stand so that the center speaker can be tilted back slightly if needed. If possible, and if necessary, move your left and right speakers out into the room a bit more, so that the center channel sits slightly farther back. It usually helps imaging, among other things, in regular stereo too.

Buzzy said:

I think this is a great idea but i don't know how it will match with my mission m32i mains.

I can't put the single midbass and tweeter speaker vertically as i am putting it on top of my projection tv. That will make it look weird.

If the Missions don't image well enough to use phantom CC mode, then 'smart money' IMO with a big RPTV is to build three either co-ax or tri-ax HT only L-C-R monitors for mounting overhead. With a bit of shelving EQ to tone down their inherent 'shout', inexpensive car audio drivers work surprisingly well.

BHTX said:
I'm assuming there's some space underneath the screen then? Build a short stand, and put it there.

Note that mounted in front it must be shielded AFAIK, while up top they don't, at least that's the case with the older CRT RPTVs.

As always though, YMMV.

GM

Buzzy said:

In my opinion the CC speaker doesn't need to "match" with the mains in an HT system, as it is dedicated to voice reproduction and the mains are for music. Having said that, a clean, low distortion speaker with proper filtering is desirable for all speakers in any system, and matching efficiency and output are important also.

Consider this design:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html

I think a "soundbar" type CC speaker with a horizontal array of the Hi Vis could be considered, for systems where a higher potential output is desired, wired for proper impedence of course.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.