• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Related Audio Worlds largest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Scary stuff.. :D The thing is passively "subsonically" (bandpassed I'd say) filtered and functions over a range of 5Hz - 24Hz, driven by a solid state 100W+100W amplifier, they claim the most power ever measured on the loudest passages played was about 60Wrms..

The system "total efficiency" is 110dBspl which I assume is for the pair and they claim that the maximum undistorted output obtainable is higher than that encountered in any live performance and I guess I can easily believe that.

I didn't see any tube amplifiers in the pictures, the description makes no mention of tubes, but does mention jfet circuitry and interstage transformers from RoyalDevice.

What really throws me is the use of a Thorens TD-160 as a source in this system. I'm a huge fan of Thorens and use a nicely restored TD-125 MKI regularly in my system, but I really expected to see something along the lines of a SME 20 or similar.. :devilr:

Other interesting comments include the fact that the room treatment is essentially anechoic in nature which I would not consider quite optimum but I guess given the array design probably helps with early reflections.

I am assuming this system can do 3 channel sound at minimum, I did not see surround speakers near the listening position.

Interesting that included is an analog recording studio with some nice if relatively pedestrian gear featured.

One over the top system I have encountered in real life was the system Dick Burwen built in his basement which in spirit and scale was not far removed from this one. Sounded quite good too.

See link here: http://www.burwenaudio.com/Sound_System.html

I saw some earlier pics sometime back, can't recall where. Needless to say there are many more now. Impressive setup... there was one stereo tube amplifier further down in the photos. Also seems to be mostly custom built gear... some nice stuff, but I grow tired of blue LEDs on anything within an hour or so, must be a personal thing. Still, would love to hear some well recorded pipe organ music here.

I have to agree re: the Thorens table.... nice piece but the state of the art has advanced much since then... just my $0.02. I also love the SME arms... truly inspiring designs and fabrication.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.