Isomagic ground loop - Should PSU be earthed??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just bought some new active nearfield monitors and plugged them into my Isomagic, and the left channel has some serious ground hum.

I tried lifting the ground on the various items in the loop, but I couldn't shift it. This is strange as when plugged into my regular amp, there is no ground loop.

I then remebered that the power supply to the DAC has obvious signs of having being opened and re-glued (bought it new from Richer sounds, so I can only guess it was a returned item).

So anyway, I opened the PSU up, and there was no connection from the power input ground to the transformer.

I suspect someone had a moulded IEC mains lead and wanted to lift the ground on the DAC or something. Why else would it not be connected?

Thanks,

James

Hi,

The monitors are fine when plugged into other sources.

Update: I soldered an earth line to the transformer from the mains lead, and now the isomagic doesn't come on anymore.

Oh well. Looks like I might be selling an Isomagic, minus a power supply.

I really want a dac that does 192khz and decent upsampling.

Cheers,

James

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
jamesd256 said:
Hi,

The monitors are fine when plugged into other sources.

Update: I soldered an earth line to the transformer from the mains lead, and now the isomagic doesn't come on anymore.

Oh well. Looks like I might be selling an Isomagic, minus a power supply.

I really want a dac that does 192khz and decent upsampling.

Cheers,

James

Remove the ground connection you made and check the receptacle for a blown fuse. (I expect this is a standard BSA plug?)

Check out the Zhaolu 3.0 dac it's good and not too expensive. Get it here: http://www.diykits.com.hk/ (Shipping is surprisingly reasonable.)

Good luck..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.