• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Values for grid stoppers for 6922...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got some 6922s as common cathoed amplifiers, driving a cathode follower, in turn driving a source follower, and my MOSFETs keep blowing since I redesigned the enclosure for my tubes. My bet is on oscillations. I haven't probed it with my scope yet, but I'll be willing to bet my money it's the 6922. I've got a 30R resistor on the grid of the tube, but I guess I should use a higher value as a grid stopper, but what? Should I use 100R, or something higher like 1k or even 2.2k? Any help would be apreciated, I've only got one extra FET left, hopefully I won't have to order more....

I do indeed have gate stoppers on the MOSFETs though. And the thing is, this all started when I changed the tubes from their own chasis and put them in the same chasis as the MOSFET follower, so I gather it's oscillations from the change is layout or something. And it is after a volume pot, but I might later add a preamp before it, so I'll try 2.2k like you said to begin. Thanks alot by the way.

I know I should not need them, but what could cause such a tube to oscillate? In a seperate chasis, it was stable and caused no problems, but when I transported it to it's new home, it went all wacko, I gather is layout, but what should I look out for?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
THERE'S MORE TO IT...

Hi,

Series resistance (within reason) is not going to hurt your fidelity, to spite what Frank may alude to.

Yeah...we try to make the signal path as short as possible and to top it off we add a few KOhm in series with the most sensitive element of all, the grid.

Not that I expect you to hear a difference of course, we also choose low noise tubes where possible and naturally we mess that up by adding series resistors.

As I said it before, if the circuit doesn't oscillate then don't use them...If it does oscillate than either the tube is very sensitive to instablility or the circuit design sucks...

Take your pick, saying that adding a gridstopper doesn't have an audible (usually degrading) effect on the sound is utter rubbish.

If you need to combat RFI than use a ferrite as I suggested to Apass_gear before, it's effective and doesn't degrade the sound, quite to the contrary.

Cheers,

The grid stopers...

Grid stopers are a must after a volume pot...

The volume pot in a typical valve amp is 100K so the maximal resistence ( pot is at the midle position) driving the grid of the first valve is +- 25K..in the others positions less ..so 25K more 2.2K(of the grid stopeer) doesn't make much diference!!

Only at near the 0 position the resistence driving the grid is near 0 Ohms...and driving a grid with a so low resistence gives a very wide bandwith...so the usual parasitic oscilation at the 0 position of the volume pot!!!

So put it after a pot!!...Please!:nod:

Gridstoppers Again

I agree with Joel about gridstoppers for the 6DJ8/6922 family . I have often seen little puffs of oscillation picked up on the scope with some 6DJ8 types , almost intermittantly . Some of the harshness often attributed to 6DJ8 could be due to this also . From experience I find it best to use a 1k grid stopper , but this may depend on whatever operating point is used . Fit them : better to be safe than sorry , expecially if different 6DJ8 are to be used .

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SHORTSIGHTED VIEWS.

Hi,

The volume pot in a typical valve amp is 100K so the maximal resistence ( pot is at the midle position) driving the grid of the first valve is +- 25K..in the others positions less ..so 25K more 2.2K(of the grid stopeer) doesn't make much diference!!

Only when the pot is physcally remote from the next tube would you need a gridstopper.

Stubborn idiots like myself use extension shafts and couplers to bring the pot or attenuator as close as possible to the next stage.

Ciao,;)

Speedy Gonzalez....

I agree with Joel about gridstoppers for the 6DJ8/6922 family . I have often seen little puffs of oscillation picked up on the scope with some 6DJ8 types , almost intermittantly

Yes...we can not forget that the 6DJ8 is designed as a video tube...,so the wide bandwith and less miller capacitance make it more prone to parasitics oscilations!

The price of speed!!;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002

Hi,

From experience I find it best to use a 1k grid stopper , but this may depend on whatever operating point is used . Fit them : better to be safe than sorry , expecially if different 6DJ8 are to be used .

Yes, the 6922 are sensitive tubes with high tranconductance so a gridstopper may tame them to some extend.

A value as low as 33R may do the trick already.

And indeed it will probly take out some of the harshness ( which is quite likely RFI).

I did say, if not needed...than don't put them in, right?

Measuring tools and an understanding of layout will get you a long way in this department.

Cheers,;)

Well, the volume pot isn't in the same chasis, it's quite a while away, so maybe that'll add to the problem. I slapped in 2.2k in series with the grid and I'll probe it with my scope when everything is good and done. Putting these back together was hell, have the psu on the bottom the the chasis, the MOSFET circuits on the heasinks on the sides and the tube circuits on the underside of the top, makes it real hard to work with, don't ask me why I did that.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
SPITTING DISTANCE.

Hi,

Well, the volume pot isn't in the same chasis, it's quite a while away, so maybe that'll add to the problem.

Not such a good idea IMO for various reasons, one of them being that in this configuation ( as I undrstand it) frequency response is likely to change according to volume settings.

don't ask me why I did that.

We won't...:clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.