Big sound from little speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need suggestions on how to get BIG sound from little speakers. When I say "big sound" I mean a nice overall flat response with some decent bottom end (decent for a small speaker anyway). I'm not talking about getting high SPL from small speakers, just good sound.

I plan to build a small "boombox" that will mostly be used indoors in a small quiet environment, so I don't mind sacrificing SPL for larger sound.

Also, when I say small I mean small. I would like to keep the driver to 4" max with as small an enclosure as I can get away with.

What are my options? Tiny passive radiators? A small sealed box with active LT?

Driver choices (probably a TB driver)?

:confused:

gainphile said:
Problem is the ears cannot be fooled, it wants to hear big soundstage from big speakers.

They can be fooled, sort of. I was thinking about using MaxxBass, but the only available consumer MaxxBass hardware I can find is a little too big.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_i494_bass-expanders---reconstruction-processors.html

Maybe the circuit out of one of those cheap portable speaker systems can be used. Something like this........

http://cgi.ebay.com/Altec-Lansing-i...yZ109273QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

poynton said:
I have had a pair of these small speakers (actually badged AKAI) for many years - 25 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PAIR-...278438304QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220278438304

They have an excellent soundstage and surprisingly good bass for such a small cabinet. and they do go loud.

Don't confuse with the later version with the chipboard cabinet.

Andy

Those are a little bigger than what I had in mind.

kristleifur said:
Have you considered using a bipole config?

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/FE127E_SB/FE127E_SB.htm

It may be beneficial ... stronger bass w/ some enclosure size tradeoff, AFAIK.

That FE127E sealed bipole is huge! :eek:

kristleifur said:
I only meant to introduce the concept.

Yes, thank you. This seems like it might be a good choice. The additional driver would take care of baffle step and I could use a LT circuit to compensate for the small enclosure.

I would like to use a TB driver from parts-express, I just don't know which one to pick....

W4-1052SD
W4-657SH
W4-616S
W4-656SC

I'm sure these two are nice, but four of them would cost a bit much....

W4-1320SC
W4-1337SA

The amplifier is going to be class-d, so I can tweak the output filter to adjust for the high frequency roll-off of any of the above drivers.

I just thought I'd toss in with my experience.

I've been working on a smallish ported boombox (16.5"w x 7.5"h x 9"d) powered by an Amp 32. I started out with the W4-1320SC bamboo Tand Bands, but after getting the thing built, I ran across a pair of the CSS fr125s on eBay and swapped them out. Night and day, at least with my configuration. Much more and easier bass. Sound improved even more by the addition of a pair of 1/2" mylar dome Audax tweeters--just gives more top end sparkle.

Of course, I've got some equalization built in, an anjustable low-pass filter on the input made from a .33uf cap and a pot, so I can tune it to the space (needs a lot more bass outside), and a coil, resistor and cap on output to knock down the "shoutiness" a little. Your idea of tweaking the output filter is a good idea, and more elegant than my clumsy methods.

It's been a fun project that has allowed me to get my feet wet in the DIY electronics world and show it off everywhere I go.

--Buckapound

kristleifur said:

That's another potential cool feature of bipole - if the amp is 4-Ohm friendly like most Tripaths, you'll "gain" 3dB of sound if you make 4Ohms from two 8Ohm speakers in parallel.

Yes, normally that would be an advantage, but with the amp I am going to use I will actually get less power at 4 ohm due to thermal limitations of the IC.

THD+N = 7%, f = 1 kHz, VCC = 24 V, RL = 8 ohm, 32W
THD+N = 7%, f = 1 kHz, VCC = 24 V, RL = 4 ohm, 25W

Still plenty of power for my needs though.

I have had a pair of these small speakers (actually badged AKAI) for many years - 25 or so.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-PAIR-...tem220278438304

They have an excellent soundstage and surprisingly good bass for such a small cabinet. and they do go loud.

Don't confuse with the later version with the chipboard cabinet.

Me too I have a pair of these badged Audiojap: I agree, they are really amazing. Very good japanese drivers with huge magnet.

Okay, I'll risk saying a four letter word. Bose.

Have you guys checked out the new Bose computer speakers.
Not sure there exact name, but they are like 4x5x6inches, weigh about ... 10lbs each, internal amp powered by 17V@2Amps.

They are quite amazing to me, although the demo I heard only had classical music, but they really were amazing. No sub either.
Big stage for the desk they were on. Great musical Bass too... not just sub woofer tones. (maybe because they had no sub!)

Can't tell much about what the driver is except it can't be big.

Its got two passive radiators too, and I see Bose has patents for apposing PR's to reduce vibration... like they thought of that.

Dr. Bose is really good at compressors, and I think that's likely how they get the big sound.

Yeah, I love to hate Bose too, but I really did respect that engineering effort. They sell for ~$400.

Portlandmike

theAnonymous1 said:
Yes, BOSE is the King of signal processing (not saying that is a good thing). If I ate food as processed as the BOSE sound I would have a coronary in a week. :dead:

I'm sure they are using something similar to the MaxxBass technology as well.

Actually, I've done serious inquiry into compressors, and Bose's method is really nice in that it does nothing to the signal until its getting near clipping.

they also do a fancy loudness processor though, but its actually quite elegant in that it processes the music that is in a narrow, low frequency band, thus everything from say 120Hz up is clean.

No DSP either, very analog.

If it were food, it would be a process to prevent burning!

m

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.