• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Worlds smallest HiFi valve amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings, there is a similar thread in the chip amp section of diyAudio so I thought it might be interesting to see the smallest valve based amps( commercial and diy) that have appeared. Photos and schematics and where possible opinions on designs most welcome.
cheers Fergs

vitalstates said:

are you sure?

its a bit disconcerting knowing those valves were designed to go in artillary shells......if music be the food of love etc etc

Ed

edit: ok its a fair cop, I just checked...5902 = 40mm, nuvistor = 20mm

Atctually the sub mini's which are used in that amp where the ones used in proximity detonators and not the nuvistor.

Those things were top secret in WW2, I wonder what the designer would think about that amp. If it were me I would think it's pretty cool.

Nick

I remember the RCA "New Vista" (get it) TV set commercials, so they had to be in the 60's.

OK, Google knows all. The New Vista appeared in 1961 with the CTC11 chassis. The 6CW4 that it contained was probably developed in the very late 50's. They are horribly microphonic little critters, and here in Florida they rust!

Check this out:

http://store.vintagepaperads.com/servlet/-strse-18124/1963-RCA-Victor-New/Detail

jackinnj said:
Is the question tube "power amplifier" -- you could probably use ONE 6360 dual pentode for a couple of watts. My first 50MHz ham transmitter used this tube.

You won't get much power out of a Nuvistor -- I have a bunch of them around here -- used as VHF preamplifiers and converters.

Y a I know they are power tubes, but they are a tube and they are smaller. This is the only reason I said that.

Do you have any you would want to sell?

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.