Insert comment here...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I recently purchased some JBL 2226h speakers as well as EV DH1A drivers with HP940 horns and could use some tips on pairing them properly in the right 2-way cabinet (i.e. size, vents etc.). I don’t want huge cabinets, but don’t want anything too small and complex either.

I will use them mainly for a band rehearsal space powered with QSC amplification. I would like to cross them over passively (500, 800 Hz or 1.2 kHz?) but if bi-amp is highly recommended, I guess that will be what I do. I would like them to be efficient, and I want them to have plenty of bottom end but nothing ‘boxy’ or sloppy.

Any help would be appreciated, or if you could point me in the right direction...and if you have any questions, comments or dirty jokes, just let me know. I have done a search for info, but I think I was too tired at the time to see anything that was of interest.:xeye:

Thank you

Hi Rob,

Yes that leads to the document I was thinking of; -

http://www.pispeakers.com/Speaker_Crossover.doc

I believe this one states a warning that the simple L+C should *not* routinely be connected straight to a LF or mid-bass driver due to the C introducing a small resonant peak with the driver which the amplifier cannot damp due to the series L. Or was it to *not* connect a C+L directly to a mid/horn ? Same principle > resonance not damped by amplifier due to series impedance.
Resistors and other components are necessary for reproduction to be as clean as software suggests is possible, and of course experienced designers know this.

However the need for other components is often NOT mentioned in some of the simplistic software programs available for designing crossovers, and thus without realising, some constructors will be buying into a less than optimum system !

Cheers ......... Graham.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.