• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What's the biggest full wave damper diode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Working on a big guitar amp finally, big enough to need a GZ34.

I was wondering if there was a damper diode alternative to that? I know about the 6CD3/6CE3/6CG3, but these are only half wave, and 2 would need lots of heater current. I know about the 6BY5, but that's only good for 175mA I guess.

leadbelly said:
Working on a big guitar amp finally, big enough to need a GZ34.

I was wondering if there was a damper diode alternative to that? I know about the 6CD3/6CE3/6CG3, but these are only half wave, and 2 would need lots of heater current. I know about the 6BY5, but that's only good for 175mA I guess.

Dude,

The 6BY5 is good for 175 mA. continuous DC per plate. Carefully peruse the 6BY5 data sheet.

BTW, Chinese made 5AR4s from reputable dealers, like Jim McShane, are both reliable and reasonably priced.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
JoshK said:
Does the 6by5 warm up slow?

Yes, very.

Work just fine for small stereo amplifiers using the 45, 71A as well as 2A3, 300B SE monoblocks as well as any pre-amplifier you could think of.. I have the impression (and experience) that they really perform best in applications where the load current is moderate - in the vicinity of 100mA or so, and/or in cases where you want to economize on filament windings.

Attachments

• 6by5.jpg
    6by5.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 318
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.