reference 3a woofer design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They don't manage to make a woofer that doesn't need a crossover. It really DOES need one.
Have you seen how badly the MM deCapo measures in the Stereophile review? Yet they like them? Everything in that review and the measurements section SCREAMS for a decent crossover to tame the peaks at the very least. And running a 7" full range? Cone breakups are going to happen. Seriously a snake oil product.
A guy in town is selling some at a decent price and is willing to bring them over for an audition. I am tempted to waste his time and have him bring them by. Stay tuned ...
Reference MM de Capo i loudspeaker Measurements | Stereophile.com

I'll have a go at this. A woofer that doesn't need a crossover. :confused:

SEAS The Art Of Sound Perfection

Actually, there IS a crossover. It's a simple inductive 3.5mH coil built into the voice-coil. This works well with a 10" bass cone which has a certain natural damping.

By the time you get down to 6" cones, you possibly need a plastic or polycone woofer to stay well behaved. Like the old Vifa P17. In fact the Vifa didn't have huge voicecoil inductance, so you just added a mH or so.

But really, I never understand what people think is great about no crossover. Even with the SEAS A26, a certain amount of electrical shaping is a good thing.

The theory goes that electrical damping is far more linear than mechanical damping. Maybe a bit of both works best. :cool:

Attachments

• WD25 EX Peter Comeau.JPG
    WD25 EX Peter Comeau.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 100
  • WD25 EX Crossover.JPG
    WD25 EX Crossover.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.