Naim (split from Blowtorch)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
john curl said:
More like Julian Vereker, the Naim amp designer. but him too.

Mr Curl as soon as you mentioned Naim audio and aligned yourself with its creator your credibility just sunk into the ground.

Those Naim amps are your common or garden variety quasi complementary output stages from the 60's that no serious designer would ever contemplate on using these days or even referring to as a credible design. :smash:

And like someone else said you had to use special cables with those amps otherwise the damn things would take off and self destruct. :bawling: Sounds like they could of done with a bit of L on the output stage ;)

1audio said:
I think the real value to the Naim products in this context was missed. Its not so much the circuitry but the sensitivity and quality of the execution of the details. Despite the simplicity of the circuits the Naim products are very highly regarded. There have been times I thought the external components like connectors, controls etc. would have much more influence than the core circuitry. The high value some find the the "Gainclone" with its compromised performance (the transistors are all fabbed with a power transistor process) ceretaionly suggests that the passives could be most important.

OK with respect to Naim equipment please explain these details. I must have missed them somewhere along the way.

From what I can see there is nothing on a Naim amplifier that is significantly better than a well designed Japanese amp of the day.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
As I said, not having one I can't comments authoritatively, however its possible that just eliminating such marketing driven details as speaker switches and streamlining the connections from the output transistors to the speaker with as few things in the way may alone make a big difference. Also there may be tricks in the power supplies that make a difference. Its possible that modifying a Japanese amp with the same type of tweaks could yield similar results. I don't know but I suspect that everything from resistor choice to obsessively fanatic layout are all a part of the process. All things that turn out to be far more expensive than they look to be.

And just because the transistors are arranged the same way as another product doesn't mean they are used the same. Alter the gain at the individual stages and you can get a very different result. This should be obvious to anyone who has been reading this thread for the last few months.

I agree that the Naim stuff looks overpriced and not very special but that should not presuppose the performance it delivers. It can be very hard to separate ones initial reaction to the presentation from the actual performance delivered. Looks can be very deceiving.

1audio said:
As I said, not having one I can't comments authoritatively, however its possible that just eliminating such marketing driven details as speaker switches and streamlining the connections from the output transistors to the speaker with as few things in the way may alone make a big difference. Also there may be tricks in the power supplies that make a difference. Its possible that modifying a Japanese amp with the same type of tweaks could yield similar results. I don't know but I suspect that everything from resistor choice to obsessively fanatic layout are all a part of the process. All things that turn out to be far more expensive than they look to be.

And just because the transistors are arranged the same way as another product doesn't mean they are used the same. Alter the gain at the individual stages and you can get a very different result. This should be obvious to anyone who has been reading this thread for the last few months.

I agree that the Naim stuff looks overpriced and not very special but that should not presuppose the performance it delivers. It can be very hard to separate ones initial reaction to the presentation from the actual performance delivered. Looks can be very deceiving.

There is an old saying. You can't turn a "sows ear into a silk purse" which applies to Naim equipment ;)

There is nothing special about the way Naim used semiconductors in their equipment nor did they have a monopoly over better silicon than other manufacturers. It was very mediocre by anyones standards.

You sound like your trying to say that by some fluke of magic that can only be explained by paranormal science that only Naim used the appropriate parts in the appropriate combinations to get an infinitely better result than anyone else who used them :clown: If that is the case then we all should own and be using this old equipment. Somehow it's just not happening ;)

Snoopy, you are overreaching and do Naim a disservice. I KNOW that the output devices were special for the time, I saw the spec sheet. This made the amplifier better, yet powerful enough for people's needs. Remember, Bob's amp is only 50W. My JC-3 amp (designed the same time as Naim's) is only 20W. Naim was making much bigger amps in the 1970's as a commercial product. This is where Glen is coming from, today. He found a quality N channel only power mosfet and is now doing much like Naim did, long ago, with his output stage.

john curl said:
Snoopy, you are overreaching and do Naim a disservice. I KNOW that the output devices were special for the time, I saw the spec sheet. This made the amplifier better, yet powerful enough for people's needs. Remember, Bob's amp is only 50W. My JC-3 amp (designed the same time as Naim's) is only 20W. Naim was making much bigger amps in the 1970's as a commercial product. This is where Glen is coming from, today. He found a quality N channel only power mosfet and is now doing much like Naim did, long ago, with his output stage.

John I don't think so. I remember years ago someone having a Naim amp. Looking at the back of it, it didn't even have decent heatsinks and it used Philips BDY-20 or BDY something TO-3 metal can transistors. Like I said nothing special. It's something you'd find in a Mullard application note.

There is nothing special about a quasi complimentary design no matter what quality output devices are used :(

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
I would like to make a few comments about Julian Vereker and Naim Audio amps. Back in the middle '70's, these were SOTA amps. Yes, they were quasi-complementary, but for a good reason. The specific output devices had very good safe area, but were faster than typical devices, yet had no complement. Julian revealed this to me, after I had known him for years. He seemed to make relatively crude circuits, but they competed well in the marketplace, AND they had many design decisions in them that parallel mine. This gave them a competitive advantage in the audio marketplace, that many here cannot yet comprehend why.

The 'secret' of using quasi-complementaries because NPN's have better SOA has never been a secret to anyone half-witted about audio design.

Naims may have been SOTA half a century ago. Two weeks ago I attended a Naim demo at the local hifi club. The week after I demo-ed my 'diy' amp. 28 out of 30 attendants stated that after the Naim demo, it was good to hear some good equipment again.
Maybe you should review your standards, John.

Jan Didden

stoolpigeon said:
snoopy, there will be many Naim amps running long after all that Japanese rubbish you refer to has been thrown in the bin (if it hasn't already).

sp

The Japs were using advanced power semiconductor devices decades before Naim ever did ;) The proof is in the eating of the pudding. See how many of those so called rubbish "Japanese" designs are snapped on ebay these days and then see how much demand there is for old Naim amps. Naim doesn't even get into the starting gate anymore ;)

Paying big dollars for a quasi complimentary output stage using mediocre semiconductor devices :smash: LOL It's comical really :)

There is a sucker born every minute in the HiFi fraternity and the ones that bought Naim got taken for one hell of a ride :( Sorry to break the bad news to you ;)

janneman said:

The 'secret' of using quasi-complementaries because NPN's have better SOA has never been a secret to anyone half-witted about audio design.

Naims may have been SOTA half a century ago. Two weeks ago I attended a Naim demo at the local hifi club. The week after I demo-ed my 'diy' amp. 28 out of 30 attendants stated that after the Naim demo, it was good to hear some good equipment again.
Maybe you should review your standards, John.

Jan Didden

Well it makes you wonder what standards John actually uses to evaluate audio equipment if he is willing to jump in with the Naim camp ;)

What is the problem with Quasi-complementary?

This have nothing to do with the Blowtortch but here it goes.

Have mostly been reading on this thread but i think i need to defend the quasi-complementary design a bit. First of all Snoopy, are you mostly dismissing QP because of its age and theoretical shortcommings? On paper it might not look so hot but in practice it can be realy good, both tecnically and above all, sonically. I urge everyone who have never heard an old Dynaco st-120 with some bias on the output stage on a pair of not to power hungry speakers to give it a listen. It is a bit rough around the edges if you push it but it has a drive and dynamic flow that really gets me going. I am not saying it is the best amp i have heard (far from it) but it certanly beats alot of modern amps.

BR and thanks for charing JC!

Anders

john curl said:
I think that the devices were German. Probably Siemens.

The other problem with that Naim amp I saw once is that it kept cutting out when it got to hot because they didn't put enough heatsink on the output devices and rather they were relying on the inefficient design of the case to act as a heatsink :(

Not a good design I'm afraid :(

Re: What is the problem with Quasi-complementary?

bappe said:
This have nothing to do with the Blowtortch but here it goes.

Have mostly been reading on this thread but i think i need to defend the quasi-complementary design a bit. First of all Snoopy, are you mostly dismissing QP because of its age and theoretical shortcommings? On paper it might not look so hot but in practice it can be realy good, both tecnically and above all, sonically. I urge everyone who have never heard an old Dynaco st-120 with some bias on the output stage on a pair of not to power hungry speakers to give it a listen. It is a bit rough around the edges if you push it but it has a drive and dynamic flow that really gets me going. I am not saying it is the best amp i have heard (far from it) but it certanly beats alot of modern amps.

BR and thanks for charing JC!

Anders

No I'm dismissing it because with modern semiconductor devices it is no longer necessary or desirable to resort to this asymmetrical design practice.

I can understand your sentimental attachment to this old amp but can you please explain why you think it is better than most modern amps ??

Who said that the Naim power amp is better than many newer power amps? Julian has been dead for about 10 years, Naim is just another company now. However, it its day, Julian did some innovative things, like provide high peak current, not put in E-I protection, keep the circuit through-path simple, REMOVING the output coil, etc. He was very successful, as most POWERFUL amps at the time were quasi-comp. I worked on one, myself, in 1973, because only NPN power devices had enough safe area at that time. In order to get around that problem and use complementary output devices, we had to use more complex circuits, such as series connection (Borbely), or bridge connection (Gale) to REDUCE the working voltage across each output device, or else use constricting E-I protection, or both.
Crown and Phase Linear used quasi-comp in the '70's. Marantz and JBL used lower power, or multiple CHERRY PICKED complementary output devices, that the rest of us could not get, and often severe E-i protection.
If you can find a Marantz 500, go for it, but we found it compromised, sonically, as we did Phase Linear, and most other solid state amps at the time.
Now, what about the sound of Naim? I visited Julian at his home in 1976, and spent a few days. He was very proud of his hi fi system and demo'ed it with a popular song that included a chime like door bell. I told him that it did 'door bells' as good as any hi fi that I ever heard, but that other aspects could still use improvement. As you see, I am an 'equal opportunity' critic, and don't just criticize the rest of you. :geezer:

Re: Re: What is the problem with Quasi-complementary?

snoopy said:

I can understand your sentimental attachment to this old amp but can you please explain why you think it is better than most modern amps ??

I tend to play music through it, if it did not do that in a way that i can tolerate it would go out the door asap. I am not saying that it is a superior topology, just that one can make a darn good amp with either technology, there is so much more to amp design than just the choice of basic topology. My line, dac I/V and riaa today are symmetrical designs, not JC but much inspired by his designs. For power i use a circlotron, hence symmetrical but not complementary.

BR,
Anders

john curl said:
Who said that the Naim power amp is better than many newer power amps? Julian has been dead for about 10 years, Naim is just another company now. However, it its day, Julian did some innovative things, like provide high peak current, not put in E-I protection, keep the circuit through-path simple, REMOVING the output coil, etc. He was very successful, as most POWERFUL amps at the time were quasi-comp. I worked on one, myself, in 1973, because only NPN power devices had enough safe area at that time. In order to get around that problem and use complementary output devices, we had to use more complex circuits, such as series connection (Borbely), or bridge connection (Gale) to REDUCE the working voltage across each output device, or else use constricting E-I protection, or both.

For crying out a loud John, all of these so called "innovative" things made it an unreliable product and ready to blow up at a drop of a hat which it did in a lot of cases :bigeyes:

Any of the other manufacturers could have remove the same elements from their design and made them an equally unreliable product. I wouldn't have called it innovative to make a product unreliable like that :(

Re: Re: Re: What is the problem with Quasi-complementary?

bappe said:

I tend to play music through it, if it did not do that in a way that i can tolerate it would go out the door asap. I am not saying that it is a superior topology, just that one can make a darn good amp with either technology, there is so much more to amp design than just the choice of basic topology. My line, dac I/V and riaa today are symmetrical designs, not JC but much inspired by his designs. For power i use a circlotron, hence symmetrical but not complementary.

BR,
Anders

Rather than offer your subjective opinion can you answer the question why you think this design topology is better than most new amplifier designs ??

It is NOT the topology that Naim uses, but the way that it is implemented. You know, no E-I protection, no output coil, etc. Yes, it makes it non-bulletproof. Julian owned the company, so he only had to answer to himself, and this gave him a sonic advantage. Can't you understand that what a lowly engineer must do to protect himself from being fired, IF something goes wrong with an amp, and he only had to restrict the peak current, and add a output coil, to remove the potential problem? Julian went for 'sound' first, absolute reliability second. Much like Lotus made race cars. Julian used to race cars, so maybe that is where he got that approach.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.