Small Active Speaker (first post)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Been browsing your forum for a few weeks now, found lots of useful information.

but i've not been able to find a post on the active speakers, anyone had any experience in these?

I've started a project, basically its an active speaker using two full range 4" drivers, for use with an ipod or other MP3 player. the aim is simplicity, a power lead, power switch, a minjack and a volume control.

Thiele small parameters of drivers:

Qms 2.84
Qes 0.63
Qts 0.52
Mms 5.27
Cms 0.59
Vas 1.62
Fs 89.98

Got the box designed and built. just need to get a suitable amp to fit inside it. the internal dimestion of the back are 124mm 248mm, its made out of 18mm MDF.

Will try to get some pics up. i will be very thankful of any help.

Matt

Yeah it has two drivers in one cabinet. Here is a picture to give you some idea.

Maybe an external power supply?
and really any internal faces could be used for fixing to apart from the front.

I just need to know if there are any suitable amps that could be used in this application.

Thanks for the reply
:)

Attachments

• speakerbox004.jpg
    speakerbox004.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 595
I ordered the AMP-6 basic, should be here in a few days.:)
I might be able to get some sound out of this box in a week or so.

Not sure on this MFB business, had a little look but it all seems a bit over my head,:xeye: I will see how it sounds once its all put together, then if its terribly lacking in bass I will start to look for ways to boost it.

Would i have to redesign the box to do this?

I'll try and keep you informed of my progress.:)

Got the amp, Built it,
Its really small and quite easy to build.
I think i ill be suitable.
Just need to get it all in the box now.

I'm trying to work out how to cut the holes to fit the drivers in had some failed test using a router. any ideas?
They need to be 88mm diameter

Attachments

• dsc00133.jpg
    dsc00133.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 393
I always cut the hole before attaching the front piece.... I know that doesn't help now though.
I use a router on a circle jig I made - basically you pivot the jig around the centre of the hole, and the router can't go anywhere bar where you want it to. Before you do the actual hole you can also rout a rebate to set the driver in, ie flush mount it.

For an 88mm hole - have you tried sourcing a holesaw to do it???

I cant find any 88 mm holesaws, found a 89mm one but that just aint good enough. Gonna make a jig for the router and have a little bit of practice before i take blade back to the box.

iIadded a switch and a potentiometer to the amp ive got it so there are two inputs. One with the potentiometer volume ajustment and the original.

Any idea how i would add a power LED to it? (so i can see when its off and on or even asleep and awake)

I'm really enjoying making this. i'll try and get more pics soon, i should be having a custom paint job done to finnish it off, got an artist that owes me a favour.

thanks for the help

Hi,

For the LED get lets say a 3mm or 5mm led and pass about 2-5mA into it. Just connect a 4800 ohm or 5100 resistor from the +14.5Vdc and connect it to the longuest pin of the led. The other pin of the led goes to ground. If too bright, increase the resitor. Make sure the resistor is at least 50mW or it will come too hot.

Regards,
Eric

Got the speakers in the box!!:)
Sounding very good, but its going to need some dampering on the inside back.

Very impressed with the drivers got them for a bargin of ebay. Great bit of bass for 4inch. They can handle the Amp at full wack.

Now i got to sort out batteries and possibly solar panels but they going to have to be small ones.

For batteries i was thinking 3 2400mAh 3.7V Battery(18650) there are loads of them on ebay going quite cheap.

And for solar power/charging i was thinking 4 Sunshine Monocrystalline Solar Module 3.76v 80mA from sunshinesolar.co.uk

e_fortier thanks for the reply but i've decided i wont need an LED after all as the amp will always have power from the batteries and will just be put in to sleep.

Matt:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.