Repairing an Infinity SM225 Woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a pair of Infinity SM225 towers in my basement (hooked up to my NAD amp, which are both used primarily for records). Anyway, I noticed that the 12" woofer on one of them is blown out (that or it rotted). I've been trying to find a replacement online, but haven't had much luck. I noticed that Infinity used to sell a replacement for $200, however, if this were still available and not discontinued, I paid $100 for the pair so I can't really justify spending $200 to fix one of them (I bought them from a friend during college about five years ago).

My question is, it seems like the only option (if I choose to keep these) is to find a different 12" woofer to replace it with, and then replace it on both of them so they're matched. Any suggestions?

This site has the original specs: http://www.infinitysystems.com/home...kProduct=Y&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

Thanks!

v0max said:
My question is, it seems like the only option (if I choose to keep these) is to find a different 12" woofer to replace it with, and then replace it on both of them so they're matched. Any suggestions?

You will not find many woofers that are as efficient as those, I wouldn't try replacing them unless you carefully measure the good one and find a good match.

Refoam them. When my speakers' surrounds rotted, only one looked bad at first.

Refoaming is not hard, just fiddly and a bit time consuming.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.