LM3875 overheated

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a gainclone based on the lm3875 classic kit from audiosector with a seperatate tube buffer. I love it but the mids and hights sounds a little "sharp" so I purchased the premium parts resistors to see if there was any improvement.

When the resistor change was done I plugged it in and turned on the power. There was a moderate hum and suddenly it started to smell like burned plastic. After some investigation I have found that the lm3875 chip on one (just one) of the channels gets overheated.

A few seconds with power on and the chip gets VERY warm.

Any idea anyone?

Attachments

• imgp0173.jpg
    imgp0173.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 519
Most likely is that the chip went into self-oscillating self-destruct.

This could be due to a missed solder joint, or a feedback resistor that is incorrect....

Take a good close look there.

Another possibility is a broken PCB trace - that could be harder to spot.

Have fun

Owen

PS the light-bulb trick is to wire a light bulb in series into the Live line on a powercord.

Any faults, the bulb lights up, and limits the maximum amount of current to the device... ;)

Now it's up and running again.

I replaced the lm3875 chip that overheated and the problem was gone. The cause of the overheating problem, as far as I know, could be:

1. Their was something shortened the chip. When I looked closely their was some heat sink compound clogged between two pins and these pins looked "burned".

2. I used the same power button to the tube buffer and the chipamp. I dont know much about tubes but when hooking up the buffer to and oscilloscope it showed strange things at startup (5-8 secs or so). Maybe you are supposed to "heat up" the buffer before turning the chipamp on.

3. I dreamed everything and there was no problem (not likely since my better half complained about me trying to burn down the house).

By the way it got it self a nice pair of wings now :)

Attachments

• g-cube.jpg
    g-cube.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 251
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.