Phono Leads, Wht have plugs on both ends?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why do phono leads have a white and red plug on both sides. I know the white
and the red lugs go into the amplifier but there is none for the head unit
of my radio. Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB 52. Why is this and can you buy special
connections as i have had to cut the two red and white plugs off the phono
lead and seperated the wires so i can connect them to my head unit.

Is this a car stereo - if yes does it have a pre-amp out? if no then you'll need to connect your speaker outs to the high level in on your amp or buy a gizmo to knock the high level signal down to pre amp levels, which can go into the amp.

Don't connect the speaker outs to your amps pre-ins!

Rob

Here is The First Page

Attachments

• page1.gif
    page1.gif
    61.2 KB · Views: 192
mcyates said:
I would only have to use the Red and white ones then?? As my sun is only 2 channel and all four speakers run off it.

Left (channel 1) front left & rear left
Right (channel 2) front right & rear right

also how does this sub out work, is this for the Sub woofer?

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/sub_out.asp

Yes that would be right. But you would lose the ablility to fade front/back, but that might not be a problem. Looking at that cable I would guess the Sub out is for subwoofer as you say.

That lead looks right..

Has the head unit got bass management? (internal x/o?)

If yes I'd personally give a think to using the head units own amps for mids/tweets, and your amp for a sub (or 2 :devilr: ) in the boot....

Sub out-

I'm assuming the head unit has its own x/o and will send a sub bass signal out of socket A, to allow you to either use the speaker outs for mains, +1 amp and sub for sub use, or the pre outs + amps for mains, + amp and sub for sub.....

Re-read the manual as I'm not familier with this unit...

I'm guessing you don't have subs..

Usually they give you the sockets with a 'standard' connector at the other end when you buy the unit..

If you got them all you can just hack them up, or spend £20 ish to get the adaptors....

Rob

My system is the following.

I have the Front Speakers Running using the wires from the back speakers. The front Speaker wires are currently running the Subwoofer.

The Speakers are running on a Alpine MRP-T130 50Wx2Ch RMS The subwoofer is running on a Alpine MRV-T707 70Wx2ch RMS

The sumwoofer is running on 2 channels as its running off the two front speaker wires. As all the normal speakers are running from the rear speaker wires coming out of the head unit.

Click For Diagram:
http://www.myfootballforum.com/diagram.gif

What about the crossover? - are you using the sub out from the head unit, or the front speaker out with no filtering?

My advice looking at your pics is:

buy the first lead and connect the front left/right to your Alpine amp, and your front left/right speaks...

Do you need rear speakers? - I only use a pair of infinity 6 1/2" in the front, and with a sub this is plenty - I've always found that rear speakers mess up the sound rather than help.

If you want rears, use the rear left/right speaker connectors from your head unit, and the fader to keep them quieter than your fronts.....

Then buy a lead for the sub out and connect that to your sub amp, and your subs...

If your head unit has a built in x/o then use it! - set it as low as you can, according to how loud you want to go and how loud your front speakers can go..ie: my infinitys are loud enough crossed at 90Hz, but my old kenwoods needed to be crossed higher as they distorted in the bass more at lower volumes..

If your head unit hasn't got a x/o then you really need to look into buying one...

Rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.