'Not so' Permanent Live in 1998 VW Golf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A friend asked me to help him install a new radio in his 1998 VW Golf GT TDI.
After the install, the presets were not saving. On investigation, I found that the permanent live doesn't stay live when the ignition switch is made.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm guessing that a faulty relay is dragging it down to earth when the ignition is switched on, but as I don't have any wiring diagrams, I'm not sure where to start.
Does anyone have any advice or wiring diagrams?

Thanks

Hi, how did you install the head unit?

Was it:
1. Got a Volkswagen wiring harness adapter
2. Cut the factory wiring.

If it's #1, it is possible the wiring harness adapter is not correct. I have seen mis-pinned or otherwise incorrect harnesses.

If it's #2, you just need to keep checking with a TEST METER (not a test light) to ensure you have +12V that remains at 12V all the time.

Usually that is a/the largest gauge wire near the stereo.

Whatever happens, always FIND OUT using a test meter... even a $5 digital meter is very helpful...you can spend all day "trying" and guessing or spend 10 mins. finding out for sure.

Note: If you can't find a +12V wire at the stereo, check the fuses as in some cases a fuse has popped and you might not know it.

Good luck, let us know what happens. Also you might search on www.the12volt.com for wiring info. :snoopy:

Does the car have retained accessory power?
Alot of new cars will leave power on to certain items for a short time,even after the ignition is off.
One of our cars leaves power to the stereo,power windows,and sunroof on after you remove the key. It turns it all off as soon as you open the door though.

I'm guessing that you may have tapped that wire,instead of a "true" +12V constant wire.

I had that in some cars they would kill everything when you used the starter. Just had to take a light/meter and search out a full time 12v. I never had a problem with a light, usually I would just check some stuff by the HU and then go right to the fuse box if I had to. Full 12v should not be relayed I would think.

Indeed a lot of forums have great info on wiring, you just need the right combo of words in your google/etc search.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.