One for Planet10? Anyone see these before?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
My spider sense was tingling today and I felt the urge to check out the Goodwill store. Found these right before I was about to leave. $3.49 each.
These are Lloyd's model W619-148. I tried a Google search but turned up nothing.
There is a "2001 Space Odyssey" look about them that appeals to me, so it's only fitting that I ask Dave. :D

Attachments

• im001630.jpg
    im001630.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,123
MJL21193 said:
Right. You don't appreciate my beautiful find?? These are nothing short of art, my friend....:)
I sure do. Ever seen my Design Acoustics D-12s?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The speaker designers of the '60s and '70s weren't afraid to try something new even if the result looked like RPG dice or something belonging in a laundromat.

I thought I might know of where to find more info on those, but sadly Audio-Heritage doesn't have anything on the old Lloyds.

- JP

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Diogenes said:

I sure do. Ever seen my Design Acoustics D-12s?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The speaker designers of the '60s and '70s weren't afraid to try something new even if the result looked like RPG dice or something belonging in a laundromat.

I thought I might know of where to find more info on those, but sadly Audio-Heritage doesn't have anything on the old Lloyds.

- JP

Now those are straight off the set of "The Star Lost" - greatest Canadian production ever. :up: :joker:

It would be nice to have some background. Lloyd's made lots of cheap consumer electronics back then. Now there's hardly a trace.

Bluto said:
$3.49 each?

You stole them! I seriously like the look.

Bluto

No, I used my credit card...:D

They sound pretty krappy. I'm not sure why they stuck those plastic diffusers over the tweeters. If I do anything with them, those would have to go.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I am considering replacement drivers. I think a coax arrangement would be best. Leave the tweeter "pod" just for looks.

Looking at a few possibilities. I'm limited by the size of the enclosure. I'd need a bass driver that will be good in the 27 litres this box will be after I reinforce it. I also want it to be vented, as I have found that I prefer a deeper bass extension to a thinner, tighter one.
I'm not limited to specific coax drivers as I could use a woofer with a small tweeter mounted on the pole piece. It doesn't need to look pretty, as I'll be retaining the grill cloth.

Suggestions? Max woofer size is 10".

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
sq225917 said:
They look to be a very close 'visual' copy of an early B&W speaker.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=1466

Yes, but I like those B&W better.:bigeyes:

A bit of a knock off? Mine have the curved baffle too, inside the aluminum frame.
My tentative plans are to clean up the aluminum parts (including the 1/4" thick aluminum plate feet), clean and possibly paint the diffuser and repair and paint the case. The same white.

I may leave them as is - these boxes don't have much damage - a few dings and dents. Original finish looks to be a powder coat on sheet stock, cut into panels and joined. White plastic edge banding on the edges.

>>> I'd need a bass driver that will be good in the 27 litres this box...

http://www.zillaspeak.com/pioneerb20-piezo.asp

I would do something like the above. Just put the Pioneer B20 in that box and add the piezo tweeter (or other).

I had a cheap Lloyds stereo when i was a kid. I will never forget the salesman saying its not how it looks, rather how good it sounds. It didnt look or sound good but we bought it anyway because it was innexpensive.

I like the look of your find and think cleaning them up and rebuilding them will be fun and worthwhile. Enjoy!

Godzilla

John -

Retro is supposedly 'in' so re-doing them as is a good idea.

I saw something else when I looked at them but you don't say (or I missed it) what box is actually made of and I can only guess at dimensions. Can edges be routed 1/2 round with a router?

I'm seeing mini Martinelli or Adrian Mack there.

Refinish them in a nice veneer . Top section looks large enough to hold a compression driver and a horn. Put, perhaps, an Eminence 10" FR in the bottom. A bit taller nice inset smaller stand on the bottom to get them up somewhat higher.

You have a unique shape to work with.

Bluto

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
panomaniac said:
Those are very goovy!

With t hose louvres at the top I thought you had horn tweeters. =)
So is that a 10" in there now?

Do they make you horny, baby?? :clown:

It's a truly bad 8" in there now. It must go.

Godzilla said:
[Bhttp://www.zillaspeak.com/pioneerb20-piezo.asp

I would do something like the above. Just put the Pioneer B20 in that box and add the piezo tweeter (or other).

I like the look of your find and think cleaning them up and rebuilding them will be fun and worthwhile. Enjoy!
[/B]

I was thinking about a fullrange, but didn't look very far.The Pioneers may be the best option, without a separate tweeter. I'll run a sim in Unibox later to see how it'll look. Thanks. :up:

Yes, I want them to sound reasonable and retain there distinctive good looks. I'm not usually a big fan of white, but it suits these.

GM said:

Small box + relatively low Fb = huge vent if not stuffed, negating much of its gain BW. Anyway, the LDSG is a good driver comparison resource: http://ldsg.snippets.org/idx.php

GM

I want these to be more functional decoration than true hifi speakers, so to squeeze some moderate performance out of these will satisfy me. I'd like higher sensitivity for use with a smaller amp, more for background than anything else. I already have serious speakers for serious listening.

The LDSG site has been a favourite of mine for the past few years. Thanks for the reminder.

Bluto said:
John -

Retro is supposedly 'in' so re-doing them as is a good idea.

I saw something else when I looked at them but you don't say (or I missed it) what box is actually made of and I can only guess at dimensions. Can edges be routed 1/2 round with a router?

I'm seeing mini Martinelli or Adrian Mack there.

Refinish them in a nice veneer . Top section looks large enough to hold a compression driver and a horn. Put, perhaps, an Eminence 10" FR in the bottom. A bit taller nice inset smaller stand on the bottom to get them up somewhat higher.

You have a unique shape to work with.

Bluto

OH noo, I don't want to make radical changes to their outward appearance. I could build from scratch such speakers and it would be less work (for me).

The colour is perfect, the diffuser is fine if there isn't an operating tweeter behind it and I like how low to the floor they are.
A compression driver is definitely not where I want these to go, and besides, It wouldn't fit (the tweeter pod is only 2.5 inches high inside)

I did look at Eminence drivers with the idea of putting a tweeter in the middle, but now I have the Pioneer on my mind. I didn't want to spend a fortune on these either.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Here's how the Pioneer looks in the 27 litres. This looks none too shabby to me, and you can't beat the $25 price tag! :)

BTW, where the heck is Dave? I go to the trouble of addressing a thread to him and he disappears...

Attachments

• pioneer sim.png
    pioneer sim.png
    60.1 KB · Views: 429
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
We had NHT do a Kipple test on one at the Burning Amp Festival. I believe the results are posted in one onf the many B20 threads- the one that focuses on the driver itself.

IMHO the B20 Pioneer is a superb choice, but always needs a helper tweeter. Maybe a piezo array behind the grille? or just the same old dome from PArts Express.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Well John - too bad you can't squeeze a 12 in there. I have set of 12" old CTS alnicos that came out of a 70s vintage Magnavox console - with matching Foster horns. They'd be yours for the cost of shipping. =)

But the Pioneer with super tweet will probably be better.

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Variac said:
We had NHT do a Kipple test on one at the Burning Amp Festival. I believe the results are posted in one onf the many B20 threads- the one that focuses on the driver itself.

IMHO the B20 Pioneer is a superb choice, but always needs a helper tweeter. Maybe a piezo array behind the grille? or just the same old dome from PArts Express.

Thanks Variac,
I'll redo my sim with the correct specs and see how it looks.

I have a few choices with the tweeters. I could use a pair of mylar dome tweeters I have that would fit in the pod. These are 3/4" and sound ok. Or I could use the ones that are there now, and see how they sound with the Pioneer. A frequency response measurement on the existing drivers would give me an idea of the performance. I'll try to find time on the weekend to do this.

Another option are 2 pairs of piezo horn tweeters, that will easily fit in the pods and are dirt cheap ($1.70 each). These are Goldwood 1016. Anyone have an opinion on these? (remember, budget refit, low expectation of hi quality)

Attachments

• aa.png
    aa.png
    43 KB · Views: 317
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.