How do you run your sub with full range drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know a lot of you guys say it's heresy but I like running a sub with my Bibs to fill out the low end. My question is for those of you that do like to use subs ... do you run your systems full range and let the sub handle to lowest octaves, or do you use the crossover in your subs?

I've got a 2a3 Bottlehed system with Lowther DX4 Bibs and an SVS sub. I'm currently letting my Bibs do everyting and then rounding out the very bottom. Does anyone prefer to cross them over at 50-60 hz?

Right now I am running mine FR in the office. But in the past I have done this with excellent results:

I determine the input impedance of the power amp driving the satellites, then put a good quality cap in line calculated to give the xover freq I want. I also measure and tweak to make sure it is right. That way you get the best possible sounding 1st order x-over on the satellites. There is only one high quality passive component in the signal path. This is not absolutely necessary but does remove needless current draw and cone excursion. I then tweak the low pass xover controls on the sub until I get the best sound.

Godzilla said:
>>> do you run your systems full range and let the sub handle to lowest octaves

I don't think the BIB substantially loads the woofer below tuning frequency so i do not think adding a crossover will help protect your lowthers much better. I would run them full and blend the subwoofer. I run my BIBs this way. Enjoy!

Godzilla

The way you wrote the above, if the cab isn't providing loading below tuning, then it should indeed be high passed so the driver doesn't flap in the breeze.

My full-range drivers play their whole frequency range. The subwoofers are in the same box (separated acoustically) firing out the back. The front drivers are powered by one amp, and the back drivers are powered by another amp. There is no crossover, and the cabinets are sealed. Using an EQ, I love the way it sounds. I am planning a smaller version for my bedroom/computer system. Peace.

sub with fr speakers

Hi,
I use Fostex 167e in 17 liter ported box. Calculated f3 is around 60-70 hz. on the sattelites.
I dial in around 70 hz on the subs, and let the Fostexs roll off at there natural -24 db/oct. rate. Mostly arrived at this xover freq. thru trial and error. It sounds very good IMO. I also tried a Rane ac22 high pass xover section feeding my sattelite amp. Set at 150 hz. My amp is diy 45 single ended triode.
It makes a great improvement in spl and lowers distortion greatly.
I loose just a tad of the single ended magic with it.
I am in the process of building a high quality, high pass L-R active xover, to see if that helps.
mg16

Vented boxes in particular

Vented boxes (and open baffles) in particular benefit from high pass filtering. You can put the filter low in frequency, as much as an octave below the F3 and still achieve benefit (especially with higher-frequency tunings like 70Hz).

The problem is that the driver will move freely below tuning, so only a little energy is required to exceed xmax, and so you're getting all the negatives of large cone excursions without any usable output.

Harrison Labs

These folks have a few good solutions for bass filtering, at very reasonable prices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.