Crossover design software.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm new to this form, and a novice at crossover design. I wanted to know what software you guys use to simulate and design your crossovers.

I'm looking to build my next set of speakers, and getting pretty involved in designing the crossover.

I'm debating between a parallel and series xover, i have read alot on this board regarding both, as well as the discussion, or explanation on humblehomehifi.com.

I have tried the Crossover Simulator, but am not too great with it...

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all the help,

the FRD Consortium stuff is great.

Now, questions, where do all of you get your .FRD and .ZMA data.

What is the diff between the FRD and ZMA data?

I don't have any test equipment as yet, do i need to get the data trough tests?

Thanks.

Juggy said:
Thanks for all the help,

Thanks.

FRD files contain the data relating to the frequency response and phase, the ZMA carries the impedance data.

If I were you I would purchase a Behringer ECM8000 and suitable preamp, this shouldn't cost too much and used with a free program such as ARTA will let you measure loudspeakers really easily.

Soundeasy: Complete Measurement and design package. Best bang for the buck of the tools which are not free. Not a wizard based tool though so you won't be designing speakers within 10 minutes of getting it.

LspCAD Standard: Priced about the same as SoundEasy. Pretty full featured design tool, with some measurement tools. Not nearly as complete on the measurement side as SoundEasy.

LspCad Pro: Very pricy. very full featured design tool comperable to SoundEasy in functionality, with some measurement tools. Not nearly as complete on the measurement side as SoundEasy.

Speaker Workshop: Freeware measurement and design tool. I used this before getting SoundEasy

Passive XO Designer - Freeware XO design tool, easy to use. Requires MS Excel. Best free XO design tool.

Regards,

Dennis

djarchow said:
Soundeasy: Complete Measurement and design package. Best bang for the buck of the tools which are not free. Not a wizard based tool though so you won't be designing speakers within 10 minutes of getting it.

LspCAD Standard: Priced about the same as SoundEasy. Pretty full featured design tool, with some measurement tools. Not nearly as complete on the measurement side as SoundEasy.

LspCad Pro: Very pricy. very full featured design tool comperable to SoundEasy in functionality, with some measurement tools. Not nearly as complete on the measurement side as SoundEasy.

Speaker Workshop: Freeware measurement and design tool. I used this before getting SoundEasy

Passive XO Designer - Freeware XO design tool, easy to use. Requires MS Excel. Best free XO design tool.

Regards,

Dennis

I would add to this that using ARTA, STEPS and LIMP in combination with LspCAD probably gives almost if not the same functionality. Heck, even I use ARTA to measure FR instead of JustMLS -.-

LspCAD used to be very competitively priced, until Ingmar overhauled it into version six and started charging twice the price for the pro version. I paid just over £300 for my original version of LspCAD pro version 5.25 and now the designer wants £320 for the upgrade? and £640 for the full product.

:whazzat:

djarchow said:

Let's not forget to mention Soundeasy and LspCAD Pro's crossover emulation functions: listen to your design before building the crossover...

Juggy said:
Thanks for all the help,

Thanks.

Hi,

FRD is frequency response and ZMA impedance.

You can use the FRD graph tracer tools to create these files from
other published measurements. RJB has files available for some
of his designs. Zaphs tests results are a good place to start.

:)/sreten.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/
http://www.rjbaudio.com/projects.html
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/
http://htguide.com/forum/forumdisplay.php4?f=39

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.