Altec A2 VOTT / or how to blow your neighbors away....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A2MB1a.jpg

Got two brand new reconed JBL 2225's coming in a day or two.

Time to get everything up and running........ Except I've got to spend some $$ on my Sea-doo's .......... and that will slow me down a little. Just gave my wife a brand new kitchen so it's only fair to put some effort into dad's stuff now.

Four Altec 515's are next. Those will cost me about 200 each to recone. I think........ Need another amp, a Marshall half stack,
a couple more Titanium diaphragms to get another pair of JBL 2360 / 2446j's running, and maybe a new Roland Keyboard. Though for the money, I really like the new Yamaha MM6 I just bought.

That was my fee for doing the kitchen...........

Can't wait to get it all running.

Say what ?

As a matter of fact........ that's only half the room. There are four
JBL 4311 studio monitors (for Dolby 5.1 surround) and 2 of the 2360 / 2446j horns too. The ceiling isn't tall enough to put the horns on top. It's basically 20' x 20'. The other half of the garage is for the 1/24th scale slot car track.

I'm seriously thinking of ripping the roof off and putting a second
story on top of the entire garage. Then I could raise the first
floor ceiling (for the horns to go on top) and get a taller garage door so I can get the 210's out easier. With casters, they are about 7 and a half feet tall. The engineered trusses
alone will cost me more than 6 grand.

But it would be worth it. Double the space........ and the slot car track could go upstairs. The sound system could then have the entire 20' x 40' room. Which would help.

Cal Weldon said:

Anyone who needs that kind of stuff is plain nuts!

The definitive diagnoses from the absolute authority!

Now, all that is needed is for you to properly dispose of those in a SOTA facility. Unfortunately the only facility in North America that is equipped with a molecular disintegrator that can handle this daunting task is near Seattle. The postage will be enormous, but sound mental health is so much more important that you'll almost certainly thank me some day. Contact me ASAP, so we may begin your recovery!

Best Regards,
Dr. TerryO MDD (Molecular Disintegrator Dilettante)

the Beach........

So much disposable income ???

I don't know about that.......

Most of this system was running off a new 100 watt Sony receiver in Dolby 5.1. (I watch a lot of concert
DVD's.) I use four JBL 4311 studio monitors for surround, and two JBL 2360 horns w/ 2446j drivers crossed over at 500Hz are in the opposite corners of the room.

I've found that I need to set it a little higher when I'm goofing around on the keyboard and it's really loud. Don't want to take out a diaphragm.......

I found a 16 channel Yamaha mixing board on Ebay for 46 bucks.

In really nice shape. 2 of the meters don't light up but everything else works great.

For 46 bucks ???

The electronic x-over is a Rane AC23.

I don't have any monster amps running this stuff.

Don't need to.

Got one 50 w/ch. Alesis amp for the horns, and an old ADCOM GFA- 1 amp for the low end. Think it's 430 w/ch. Need to buy a new amp for the Peavey MB-1 midranges, and probably another amp for a spare.

My JBL 2225's will be done tomorrow. Can't wait........

Don't know if these speakers will blow a womans clothes off, but
it sure would be cool if they did. Bet they move enough air to blow her skirt up.

I'll let you know...........

Re: the Beach........

zBuff said:
So are those "speakers so loud they can blow women's clothes off" ?

Yes but unfortunately they took out the camera as well.

RacerXtreme said:
I found a 16 channel Yamaha mixing board on Ebay for 46 bucks.

I got lucky too and found a 4 channel mixer for 20 bucks at the swap meet.. Missing some EQ sliders, that's all.

I don't have any monster amps running this stuff. [/B]

250 wpc Hafler for the A7 boxes and 1K Bash prototype plate amp for the A4's. Not enough to de-feather a chicken but close. Needs two breakers.

My JBL 2225's will be done tomorrow. Can't wait........ [/B]

Excellent news. Pictures when done please Guy.

Re: the Beach........

RacerXtreme said:
Don't know if these speakers will blow a womans clothes off, but
it sure would be cool if they did. Bet they move enough air to blow her skirt up.

I'll let you know...........
My LABhorns would easily blow out a candle placed near their mouths with a slapped E on a bass guitar and about 100W (peak).

As you guys know, these are PA boxes only. They not intended for HT, not even close. The big horn unloads at about 100 Hz and the slotted ports on mine are tuned to 50 Hz? (maybe a little higher, GM will know best.) Not sure how the ports are on Guy's stuff. I'm guessing his are a newer model.

84"X 32"X 40" deep (all approx.). About 250 lbs empty.

I bought 2 complete Altec A2 speaker systems (with wings) back in the early 1980's for $2400. They came out of the George Burns Theatre. Had 11 or 12 Altec 288's and 4 tar-filled ten cell
horns w/ y-throats for multiple compression drivers.

It really jammed...... Did parties, weddings, outdoor rock concerts, etc...... for years. Then got tired of moving all that crap around. And the cabinets retired to the garage. The 210's roll around really easy when they're standing
up, but have better low end when they're laying down. I've owned the A2's for over 25 years now. A few years ago I sold all the components (well.......almost all...........) for $2400. And kept the 210 cabinets with the original wings. I had grown tired of their sound. I wanted better. That's why I'm trying 400 watt JBL 2225's in place of the Altec 515's. Actually.... I'm going to do an A-B comparison test between four Altec 515's (made in 1953) and four of the 2225's.

The mid-bass of the Altec 515 driver in that cabinet is hard to beat, but I always wanted them to handle more power.

I'm working on that.............

The Peavey MB-1's I got for 100 bucks each with working 12" Black Widows inside them. Wish I could do that again........

From 125Hz to 1.25kHz they rock.

Spent $227 for 5 JBL 2360 horns and 5 JBL 2446j comp. drivers.
Had to drive to Chicago tho to get them........

Got one working fine just by taking it apart and cleaning it. Bought a new Titanium diaphragms for $140 so I could at least get a pair of the horns running. That's dirt cheap for high end like that. The list price on 1 horn, throat, and 1 compression driver is around a grand. I had to sand the horns down and respray them flat black. Got to buy some more diaphragms.

But 5 of them babies will wail. Probably use that fifth one for a center channel surround.....................space is an issue tho.

Bottom line

The bottom line is:

you don't need to spend a fortune to really crank it up.

You've just got to have the room to put it.

I'm lucky to have a 4 car garage, but there is absolutely no way you could put a car in there. The tunes take up half of it (20' by 20') and my slot car track takes up the other half.

I need another garage...............

Re: Re: the Beach........

Brett said:
My LABhorns would easily blow out a candle placed near their mouths with a slapped E on a bass guitar and about 100W (peak).

Now the $64000 question - how many do you have? Stand in front of a stack of four (with your ears covered, of course) and it feels like the whole universe is imploding. With a full stack you can abuse a dbx 120A and not blow anything :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.