A300HLX Amp 600 Watt JL Audio Sub

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey Im new here, was looking for some smart people

I just bought some used equipment and had it installed. Jensen 300watt amp, 10" JL Audio sub and a Stinger powercap.

I switch the key to turn the cd player on, the light on the amp goes green, 5 seconds into a song the light fades too red.

Details...

The positive cable from the powercap to the amp as thick as a marker.

Im pretty sure buddy used a piece of speaker wire to hook up the ground from the amp into a bolt that holds a baby seat.

One time I had it working for a good 20min and when it was working, I couldnt change the song on the cd player, It would just beep when I press the button...

Could the deck be screwed? The amp doesnt have enough power? Does the powercap need to be charged, its used.

With your multimeter set to DC volts, the black meter lead on the ground terminal of the amp (not on the point where the ground wire connected to the vehicle) and the head unit on (so the amp will have remote voltage applied), touch the red lead alternately to the B+ and remote terminals of the amp. If the voltage is below ~11 volts, you need to check the wiring feeding whichever line is too low.

If the voltage remains near or above 12v, disconnect all speaker wires from the speaker terminals of the amp and disconnect signal cables from the amp. If it powers up, the wiring needs to be checked. If it still shuts down, the amp likely has blown output transistors.

The ground needs to be changed. Larger wire and a known good ground. A baby seat isn't a good place for small wire. If the wire were to overheat it could catch fire which could ignite the baby seat if it's not fire retardant.

The deck is probably defective. Confirm that all switches/buttons click cleanly (no sticking, not soft - unless they're all soft). If one is sticking of feels different, it could be causing the logic circuit to lock up.

This is my first time hooking all this up togeather, I didnt understand a little of what you were saying, but I didnt understand that you basicly told me to check my wires.

I used a multimeter on all possible connections, they all read 11.5 to 11.8.

I replaced my HU (< cd player right?) and picked up a platinum wiring kit, wired it all myself this time, took my time, read some directions.

I also regrounded the ground to a bolt that is grounding other wires.

It all works perfect now, who would have thought it would be the HU?

Thank you very much for the idea, and I hope others can learn from this post.
:smash: :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.