• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help with splitter design for 7591 PP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building my first amp with a pair of 7591 in PP and have hit a slowdown figuring out the preceding splitter stage. My initial thought was to use a 12ax7 amp stage followed by a 12au7 splitter. I am planning to use a -20 bias on the 7591 so I am looking at a max 40v pp to drive each 7591 tube.

The 12ax7 has to much gain. I am assuming an input of 2vpp on the 12ax7.

If I use two 12au7 then there is not enough gain.

Should I lower the gain stage of the 12ax7 with a lot of negative feedback from the secondary of the transformer? I don't know if there is a good sounding tube to replace the 12ax7 but with less gain.

I'd appreciate any suggestion. I already built the chassis and would have 2x 9 pin sockets for the splitter circuits, it will be a stereo amp. I have built the chassis myself, see attached picture. I think it will at least look good... There are a total of three 9 pin sockets, one of them is for an amplifier section before a tone control circuit. The output of the tone control circuit will have aprox 2Vpp.

Alfredo

Attachments

• dsc01746.jpg
    dsc01746.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 264
7591s are easy to drive. The AX7-AU7 idea would work. One way to get this is to use a 12DW7. The high mu section is half a 12AX7 and the low mu section is half a 12AU7. Set it up as a conventional concertina. Probably better sound wise, though, would be 12AT7 for the input valve and 6FQ7/6CG7 for the concertina splitter but you would lose symmetry in the amplifiers appearance.

Wade

I'm partial to Eli's El-cheapo 12AT7 differential splitter myself, uses a CCS to get perfect AC balance and it sounds very alive- it's a single stage so very little in the signal path. I use a pair of Telefunken ECC801S which I found in an attic to drive 6V6-type tubes wired in triode. There is enough gain and plenty of drive voltage for 6V6.

I'll wait for his more technical explanation...

Thanks for the quick response. I think I will give the 12at7 a try. I modeled it in LTSPICE with a 12AU7 concertina splitter and it appears to yield what I am looking for.

I revisited the 12ax7 combination and I could get it to work if I lower the Plate voltage to around 200V. I am new to this, but I have heard that the higher the voltage the better linearity I will get. I could run the 12at7 at 300v.

Alfredo

zigzagflux,

Thanks for the compliment on the chassis. It took me a while to build, the woodworking was very time consuming.

were do you get a 6n6p? Is it a good sounding tube?

BTW I attached a back view of the chassis.

Alfredo

Attachments

• dsc01747.jpg
    dsc01747.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 220
If a CD player puts out 2V peak to peak, that likely means 2VRMS which means about 2.8VAC peak to peak on transients. You will want a gain of 14.2 at the very least in order to drive your outputs to full power.

If you have room for three tubes, my suggestion is to use a 12BH7 grounded cathode feeding into a 12BH7 long tail pair.

The LTP: Set for 10mA with a CCS (300VB+, 20K plate resistors), the LTP can swing a decently clean 116V pk-pk at maximum input. Gain is 6.7 and bias is at -8.5V or so. A grounded cathode 12BH7 stage with 270VB+, a 22K plate resistor, and an unbypassed 1.4K cathode resistor will give you a gain of 6. (5mA plate current)

Doing the math: Input 2.82Vpk-pk, multiply by 6 for 17V pk-pk or so, and by 6.7 again for 113V pk-pk. You have an extra 9dB or so of headroom, some of which you can "spend" on negative feedback.

sorenj07 said:
If you have room for three tubes, my suggestion is to use a 12BH7 grounded cathode feeding into a 12BH7 long tail pair.

I only have two tubes, the third is the amp stage prior to tone controls.

Line IN>Stage1>Passive Tone Control>Stage2>Stage3>7591A

Stage 2 and Stage3 are the two 9 pin sockets for the drive splitter.

I assume that your suggestion is to use 1/2 of a 12BH7 for an amplifier section and a full 12BH7 for the splitter. 3 total tubes for a stereo configuration.

I will look into your suggestion for a future project.

Thanks

Alfredo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.