Need an amp project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently finished up a Millett Hybrid Max, which I love. I would like to use it as a preamp, but now need to select a diy power amp project to go with it.

I would prefer a solid state design for the power amp component...I like the sound of tubes a lot, but they do add an extra complexity/hassle factor and for now I'd like to go solid state. I've done several DIY projects at this point so I'm not afraid of a slightly tough build.

The project should be something that would mate well with the Max, in terms of sound character, as well as sound quality...to me the Max sounds pretty wonderful and it deserves a decent amp. It doesn't need to be especially powerful, 15-20W would be more than enough.

I'd like to keep the cost on the low end...somewhere in the $300-400 range at the most (including a few boutique caps/resistors where it counts). And of course, as long as it sounds nice, the cheaper the better.

All suggestions welcome...thanks

build yourself a really cheap chipamp and listen to it.
Then build a really cheap discrete amp using the same PSU and hardware. Listen to that.
So far you should have spent well under $300 to hear both projects.
Then decide if you need to spend/waste money on very expensive single components to mix in with the other run of the mill components.
It is far better to use the correct components and values everywhere they are needed than to home in on one component disproportionately.

Check out my latest version of the Mullard Class-A Solid-State floating-bias topology, whose basic topology dates back to the 60s; my latest update makes it very competitive with JLH derivatives, with comparable BOM.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1492470#post1492470

Most of the active components are garden-variety; it will benefit from the use of boutique parts for a few capacitors - notably the input, bootstrap, bypass and output caps.

I guess I should have added that I'm looking for something with a PCB available..something similar to the Max or the M^3, that has the PCB available to buy, some kind of online BOM and documentation.

I'm not yet at the point of reading a schematic and bread-boarding something. That will come at some point but I'd like to keep it a little simpler for now.

Check out Audiosector.com. Peter Daniel sells some pretty nice chipamp kits that sound right up your alley, won't set you back too much change, and have extensive documentation. As a plus, most of the folks in the chipamp forum are pretty familiar with his kits, making trouble shooting a breeze if you really get stuck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.