Orion 425 HCCA and RF OEQ-2 bridge module

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have an Orion 425 HCCA first generation, but no bridging module.

I also have an RF OEQ-2 ten band parametric equalizer. The owners manual states that the user can use RCA or balanced inputs. The outputs are two sets of RCA and one set balanced.

So here is what I'm thinking. The outputs of the balanced connector on the EQ are: +R,-R,+L,-L. Because the output is balanced, each channel has an inverse output. The plan is to connect +R and -L to channels 1&2 on the amp. -R and +L to channels 3&4. Basically, I now have "mixed mono" as used in "tri-mode" operation.

I just happen to have some old school 30dB Orion crossovers as well. I will insert a HP between OEQ and 1&2 and a LP between OEQ and 3&4. Then I can use 1&2 for components and 3&4 for sub duties BRIDGED! You must also wire the left component set out of phase to make up for the inversion at the OEQ output.

Think it will work?

I remember being able to use a Audio Control 2XS for bridging a first gen style Orion. On the outputs, the audio control has one labeled mono, and one labeled inverted. That is the only one that I have seen usable for bridging on an Orion other than the actual bridging module...I have never seen a Fosgate OEQ used for that. But would like to hear about the outcome if you try it.

tomtomjr, yes, the older audiocontrol crossovers had the inverter built in. I think some of their eq's also had the inverting output, but I have neither.

Perry, I thought about wiring the amp as you described. The reason I want to use both balanced outputs is to keep the load equal. The RCA's and the balanced connector are wired in parallel internally. By using the RCA's and the inverting outputs it will load one channel more than the other. Probably would not make an audible difference, but gives me peace of mind.

I need to find a donor connector so I can wire it up and see if it works. It looks like an S-Video connector.

Clipped, the balanced OUT does not use the +/- 15V. If it did, then I would be able to power it from the orion amp itself.

I didn't get a chance to try and fit an svideo connector, maybe later tonight or tomorrow afternoon.

BTW, I got two 225HCCA's up and running today. One was a complete refurb, irf3205's, new drivers and 2n6488/91 outputs. The other was a repair, one bad channel. Replaced drivers and outputs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.