T/S parameters for horn drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For HF read Geddes.

Do you mean his book "Transducers etc"?

I was a bit sloppy in my initial post. I intend to do a 4-way horn system, and the low pass horn will be a tapped horn.

I would also like to know if any of you out there, have any preferences regarding the upper mid section, that is, if you prefer a cone driver or compression drivers, and why you have that particular preferens?

In the meantime, I will have a look at the suggested papers.

buggsson said:
Do you mean his book "Transducers etc"?
I've never read it, though I might now the USD is about to be renamed the NAP (North American Peso) and it's more affordable to me. There is a long thread here called Geddes On Waveguides that has lots of info.

buggsson said:
I intend to do a 4-way horn system, and the low pass horn will be a tapped horn.
I was once a mad hornie, but I think a HE direct radiator system will prove superior. Still in the final design stages of mine, though I will be using TH's for subs.

buggsson said:
I would also like to know if any of you out there, have any preferences regarding the upper mid section, that is, if you prefer a cone driver or compression drivers, and why you have that particular preferens?
Define upper-mid

Magnetar's posts here are worth reading; he has a lot of experience with many horn designs and is using a dipole/horn hybrid currently. Well as currently as I'm aware; he builds a new speaker system more often that I change my socks.

Yes, I've seen the Geddes thread, I will dig in a bit later.

The upper mid would be covered approximately between 800 - 1K Hz to 6K - 8K Hz or thereabouts.

HE direct radiator system will prove superior.

What is a HE direct radiator system? Cannot say I've ever heard of it earlier. Do you have a nice source I can turn to to see what it is?

I will try to look up some of magnetar's posts to see what he's been up to.

buggsson said:
The upper mid would be covered approximately between 800 - 1K Hz to 6K - 8K Hz or thereabouts.
Previously I would have said tractrix, but I've played with some terminated conicals (using rolled blankets at the mouth) with excellent results. Got waveguides on the way, so I'll be interested in my own findings re those.
I've got DDS, 18Sound 1" versions on the way, and a friend turning up some 2" versions a bit larger than Bouska's.
buggsson said:
What is a HE direct radiator system? Cannot say I've ever heard of it earlier. Do you have a nice source I can turn to to see what it is?

High Efficiency Direct Radiator. Not common and usually large.
Here are my two inspirations for the current build though there are a lot of other influences too.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12126
http://www.audioheritage.org/html/perspectives/drews-clues/system.htm

There are too many compromises in horns I don't like so much now, so I'm after the efficiency, dynamics, SPL capability and low distortion and compression but with better integration with the new system.

I'm even selling my Klipschorns.

buggsson said:
I will try to look up some of magnetar's posts to see what he's been up to.
Also go to Audio Asylum High Eff board as there are a lot of old posts and descriptions of some of his previous exploits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.