XLR shorting jumpers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anybody knows if the shorting plugs, employed by some brands - among these Pass Labs - to connect the cold pin with the ground one in XLR female connectors, are custom made or can be bought?
These "U" jumpers are useful to restore the corrrect nfb figure, in case the unbalanced input were employed.
Thanks
Marcello

Hello all!
Yes, this was my first thought, but for the preamplifier I need 8 male plugs!
The problem is not the cost, but this solution is not so "elegant".
I know, I'll have to made them with silver OFC...
Thanks anyway for your advice.

William, happy to see you again.
I finally finished my balanced preamplifier (BLS...), you were absolutely right, my Aleph(s) sound really well with the XLR input - and the Audioquest Python.
I couldn't believe this change!
Marcello

tortello said:
Hello all!
Yes, this was my first thought, but for the preamplifier I need 8 male plugs!
The problem is not the cost, but this solution is not so "elegant".
I know, I'll have to made them with silver OFC...
Thanks anyway for your advice.

William, happy to see you again.
I finally finished my balanced preamplifier (BLS...), you were absolutely right, my Aleph(s) sound really well with the XLR input - and the Audioquest Python.
I couldn't believe this change!
Marcello

I am happy too to see William again. I guess he has been very busy with his Aleph-X project!

I have used his advice on higher biasing the Aleph 5 for speakers with 4 Ohm impedance, and I am very happy with the sound of this pair of Aleph 5.

Marcello, what are you referring to? Is the XLR connection much better sounding? What other preamp did you have?
I saw that the AQ Python costs at least $500...
Is it really so excellent?

Regards,

Lucas.

Lucas_G said:

I am happy too to see William again. I guess he has been very busy with his Aleph-X project!

eh well actually he has been very bussy digging cars out of deep, deep snow in the north of Sweden:rolleyes:

His X project is only going on really slow. The heatsinks have arrived and the aluminium is hopefully coming this week. Transformers and resistors are still underway so I hope it´ll be ready somewhere this sommer. Probably during a heatwave wich always seems to be the case when I´m finishing some kind of class Aisch amp:cannotbe:

william

I really don't know if the bal. connection is better or not, I still haven't tried to wire the BLS with the unbalanced output.
But the comprehensive result between the BLS and the AQ python is much better than the Bride of Zen - wired with the AQ Lapis - setup.
For the same reason I still haven't compared the Python with other good interconnect cables mantaining the same preamplifier ( I need to solder the RCA connectors..), as soon as possible I'll try and let you know.
In Italy they cost about 700 Euros (about 700 dollars) but I've purchased from a local shop as a demo object.
By now they seem to be very good cables.
Marcello

tortello said:
I really don't know if the bal. connection is better or not, I still haven't tried to wire the BLS with the unbalanced output.
But the comprehensive result between the BLS and the AQ python is much better than the Bride of Zen - wired with the AQ Lapis - setup.
For the same reason I still haven't compared the Python with other good interconnect cables mantaining the same preamplifier ( I need to solder the RCA connectors..), as soon as possible I'll try and let you know.
In Italy they cost about 700 Euros (about 700 dollars) but I've purchased from a local shop as a demo object.
By now they seem to be very good cables.
Marcello

I have often heard that the boz must sound very coloured, whereas the bls and the Aleph P must sound much more neutral.
Is that also your experience?

Did anyone compare the sound of the bls with the Aleph P 1.7?

Lucas

I don't think that the BoZ is coloured at all, I've compared it with others good preamplifiers and it sounded always very transparent and smooth.
But the BLS is better, even if I haven't compared them in the same conditions (unbalanced connections).
One of these evenings I'll do this experiment.
Marcello

Pass Labs use gold plated jumpers that stick into the outside of the XLR jack. Don't know if they make them or buy them somewhere. This is quite simple devices and you could get off buying some good quality, thick wire (maybe you can get gold-plated if you try hard enough) and make them yerself!

I bet if you moan hard enough someone might even consider buying wire, have it goldplated and nip off a few pieces for you.;)

Vossie:clown:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
tortello said:
Does anybody knows if the shorting plugs, employed by some brands - among these Pass Labs - to connect the cold pin with the ground one in XLR female connectors, are custom made or can be bought?

They are custom. I should start selling them.

Lucas_G said:
I have often heard that the boz must sound very coloured, whereas the bls and the Aleph P must sound much more neutral.
Is that also your experience?

The box is much the same as the Aleph L, a single-stage, single-ended
design. It has more distortion than the SBOZ or Aleph P and the
character is 2nd harmonic, where the Aleph P is 3rd harmonic.

Most prefer the Aleph P circuit, but not all.

:cool:

Re: Re: XLR shorting jumpers

Nelson Pass said:

The box is much the same as the Aleph L, a single-stage, single-ended
design. It has more distortion than the SBOZ or Aleph P and the
character is 2nd harmonic, where the Aleph P is 3rd harmonic.

Most prefer the Aleph P circuit, but not all.

:cool:

Thanks Nelson for commenting on this.
Usually 3rd harmonics are experienced as a bit agressiv sounding, but most people describe their Aleph_P not as such. Is distortion in the Aleph_P so low that it hides its 3rd harmonics in the sound picture?

How does the B1 fit into this range?

Regards,

Lucas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.