• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Strange Hum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a simple one 6688 tube per channel headphone amp. It was working fine on test board. When I put it into a wood frame case, there is vey loud hum from one side. It is not bad tube or wiring mistake. It plays music fine on both side and tube roll does no help. But when I put my finger on the tube, the hum stops. I guess it is oscillating on that side. I need to get my scope out tomorrow to check it. Or maybe it is a loose tube socket? Before I change the socket, I want to see if anyone has had similar experience.

Thanks.

induction maybe?

Hi
I just finished a phono preamp based on 2 6688 stages in triode mode and it hummed more than a bee hive in spring time.
based on my experience that might be some form of inductance in the amp. If you touch the tube and the metal chassis does it go away?
Is it possible you arent using a star ground pattern?
let us know how you go
Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.