Anyone Tried Nover Audio Grade Caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for your opinions guys. I am dubious about the quality of the Nover caps, £5 for 10,000uF 63v is cheap especially for Audio Grade.

I tend to use Black Gates for smaller values but they're too much ££££'s for large values.

I may try those Nichicon's as they're supposed to be very good, similar character of sound to Elna Silmic's I've been told.

Lee.

Hi

I have used Nover caps with excellant results.

However the ones I have used are 105 degree ones in pre amps.

The ones you are looking at are 85 degree caps. Also the physical size will limit the current/energy carring ability of the caps- I guess to about 2 amps per cap. Will that be enough for you? On a pre amp it should be ok but on a power amp you will find it wofully lacking.

Don

I was thinking of using them in my Quad 405. I definitely won't bother now. Thanks for the info.

I am thinking of BHC Aerovox, but they're a bit pricey - any other ideas?

I currently use 6800uF 100v BHC Aerovox (ALS20A's), but they're MASSIVE. With two in, I can't get the lid on!

Lee.

Hi

ALS20A are my favourite caps. I thnk they sound the best of any ever made. If you have any spare ones let me know!!!!

But you are correct they are not small. As ALS20A are no longer available I use Kendeill caps now which are the best I can curently find.

What voltage do you need in the caps. If you can manage with 40v I can let you have a couple of LCR 40v 10,000uf which are good caps that are also no longer made..

Don

AMV8 said:
Hi

ALS20A are my favourite caps. I thnk they sound the best of any ever made. If you have any spare ones let me know!!!!

I can let you have a couple of LCR 40v 10,000uf which are good caps that are also no longer made..

Don

Hi Don. Thanks for the kind offer but I need a minimum 63v. The supply rails are +-48v, which is a pain as I have about 30 10,000uF 40v bc components caps.

I agree that the ALS20A are very, very good. I have them bypassed with 0.47uF Black Gate PK's and this really helped the treble information.

kevinkr said:
Hey Thomo,
The link at the bottom of your posts just returns a simple message that the site is closed.

Hi Kevin. I had to take the site off-line due to my isp moaning about selling goods and not being a registered business. I complied as it's just my free webspace and I don't have many caps left apart from the bc comps I mentioned above.

That 300B SE amp looks fantastic. I am looking to build a similar couple eventually when funds allow, after hearing a friends Audion Silver Night SE's.

Lee.

The best alternative to Black Gates I have found for small uF & low voltage is Rubycon ZA, in fact I think these are better than all except BG FK's.

For larger can smoothing types my favourite are Mundorf MLytics.

Elna Silmic, Nichicon Muse are all very good for the price, but in my opinion not so close to BG's.

Cheers, Lee.

Depends what you call a good price ? What quality ?

Hi Mooly,

These were about in my price range but they are a little large. I would have to relocate them and wire an extension across the amp.

Trying to find 40mm diameter x 70 mm in height caps.
Also would prefer pcb mount caps.

If you know of any smaller ones please let me know.
They are for a Carver TFM-55. Very good amp with 380 watts per channel at 8 ohms so looking for some decent grade ones.

Cheers

Might be struggling to find that in a snap in, never mind the size

Yep struggling is the word.

Original yes. Very high power amp hence the high values I guess. Probably never actually get up to the high rails but I'd prefer to put in caps no lower than 10000uF.

Maybe I'll have to buy screw in types and modify the layout a little. I could place them horizontally against the back and wire across to the board but there is very little space.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Best to keep things original if you can. Larger caps and wires will never look good. The wiring could actually make things worse too. You may find a modern cap with a smaller value, say 6800 mfd or 8200mfd that actually has a higher ripple current rating than the originals.
Can't really suggest anything else.

Brit01 said:

Yep struggling is the word.

Original yes. Very high power amp hence the high values I guess. Probably never actually get up to the high rails but I'd prefer to put in caps no lower than 10000uF.

Maybe I'll have to buy screw in types and modify the layout a little. I could place them horizontally against the back and wire across to the board but there is very little space.

What about these?

http://www.oaudio.com/surplus.html

I have used these Cornell caps before and found them to be very good. They may be a touch too tall for you though.

Mooly, interesting thread, cheers.

Cheers, Lee.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.