Experiences with www.theloudspeakerkit.com

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Barts,

There really is a good rule to follow in speakers (like life really) -- you get what you pay for and you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Look carefully at what the kit offers and think who they're aimed at. You usually get a good idea from the suburb that the company is located in.

Good luck.

thanks

Thanks for the replies, vo_guy and timc. I managed to find a couple of reviews. One from here at diyaudio.com nevertheless.

The tweeter used is a Vifa D19TD . The woofer is a "generic taiwanese", which is my only concern. The technical specs look promising. For just on 400 australian pesos, I'm thinking they should be decent value for money, until I can afford to buy some Orpheus speakers or something. :rolleyes:

I'll post my impressions once I order them and knock together.

Thanks
Bart.

Barts,

I recently purchased a pair of M4 Full Kits from them and I am happy with them. They are nothing fancy, but good value. The tweeter in the M6 is a Vifa D19 which is a nice unit. The woofer is Taiwanese, but it is polypropylene with rubber roll surround. This is a good thing. The frequency response looks good, but I would not expect a huge amount of bass out of them.

My main reason for going with the M4 was that the cabinets came with them. If you can make your own cabinets then you can save a little. Postage on mine to Brisbane was $12 I think.

I found them easy to deal with and responsive to e-mails. My M4's sit beside my TV and play DVD and Videos at a nice level.

I think the M6's would be worth a try.

Rookster

thanks for the help everyone

Thanks everyone. Since Rookster has good things to say, as well as the few reviews out there, I think I'll give the M6's a bash. I was thinking they'd look pretty schmick with jarrah veneer.

Since everyone is being so helpful here, I was wondering if anyone had an opinon of the PanasonicDVD-XV10? I know its no Onkyo or Nakamichi, but until I can afford one of those, it might have to do. Doesn't play DVD-A I know, but I don't see myself buying too many of those anyway.

re The Loudspeaker kit

Allo Barts,

I was recently in Melbourne on holiday and one of my prime interests was visiting Marcus at The Loudspeaker Kit and checking out the kits on offer.

Having listened to all of the speakers in their range I can say they certainly do offer great value for money.

Depending what your intentions are ofourse I strongly suggest you listen to the kits yourself. As vo_guy says, you always get what you pay for and with the M6 kits what you get is a very 'commercial' sounding speaker, lots of tops, lots of bottom but not much in the middle. If you're after a broader, warmer sound I would recommend the F6 which has a much better tonal balance all round and not that much more expensive.

The only thing 'wrong' with the F6 kit is when compared with the TL6 kit! The sound stage and sheer presence of the TL6 is much bigger but then you're talking a $500 difference.

The TL6's definitely rock. Great depth, great sound stage, very smooth across the entire frequency spectrum.

They've got a lot of cool kits coming up with US made drivers from Dayton Audio including switchable 4" and 5.25" bipole/dipole rears which I'm really looking forward to hearing personally.

Anyway - being a Kiwi I shouldn't be saying these things about an Ozzy outfit but really it's a great team. Marcus really knows his stuff and is extremely helpful. Well worth the look.

TL6's

At the time I was in Melbourne they only had the one finished set of TL6's in bare MDF with the cabinets in the process of being mass produced. They weren't yet available for sale as such.

I'm not sure on whether they'll sell you the plans. I suspect because they make their living off selling the speaker kits as opposed to their design they may not be keen on parting with the raw plans. Could be wrong though...

aye aye aye

I was eyeing off those F6 kits, but was trying to tell myself that the M6 would be fine. I can't get there to listen for myself, unless someone in Brisbane knows where I can find a kit. Looks like I might have to accomodate for a budget blow out here. I guess thats pretty standard though eh?

I don't dare even contemplate the TL6 kits, so stop tempting me please! :drool:

Re: TL6's

JimmyC said:
At the time I was in Melbourne they only had the one finished set of TL6's in bare MDF with the cabinets in the process of being mass produced. They weren't yet available for sale as such.

I'm not sure on whether they'll sell you the plans. I suspect because they make their living off selling the speaker kits as opposed to their design they may not be keen on parting with the raw plans. Could be wrong though...

:bawling:

They probably are more worried about protecting their IP than making an Italian DIYer happy!
Anyway if someone is building a pair I'd be very grateful if I could receive a couple of measures of the panels......

Cheers

Andrea
:Pirate:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.