The exotic speaker forum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think we should have a separate forum called "Exotic speakers" for all speakers other than the usual boxed types. So all speakers like electrostatic,planar,ionic,pneumatic etc should come under it.
Horns should probably have their own forum. They are a cult by themselves.
Any opinions ?
Cheers.

No brave souls?

OK. So as of now this thread got 2 posts and the BOSE ACOUSTIMASS thread got 44?!?

Maybe I'm in the wrong place, but how about some anti-copycat, un-conventional stuff?

What's the next electrostatic? Plasma? I'd settle for a really cool variation on a Magnapan...

Heck, take a sealed subwoofer, make it airtight and fill with a heavier-than-air gas and see what happens to the effective volume of the enclosure.

Actually, what I'd like to see on the planet soon is a working speaker based off of the Zenion effect. It's not totally super-new, but shows promise.

Here's the background:
Ion generators in prior "massless exotic" loudspeakers (nearly all tweeters) gave off tons of ozone and were outlawed.

There are variations that use other gasses (mostly helium) as the ionized medium to make no ozone, but they require helium which is effectively consumed by the process.

In the Zenion (patented) process the high voltage that ionizes the gas is fed a SIGNAL that results in ions and very little ozone.

It basically moves air by very rapidly heating it.

It is this technology that makes theIonic Breeze air cleaner thingy that The Sharper Image sells. That device uses a few electrodes and now moving parts but it effectively acts as a fan. (a V-E-R-Y low frequency loudspeaker). The thing really blow air.

The Zenion web site (and patent) refer to making loudspeakers using this technology, but I have no idea if such a thing actually exists anywhere.

Ideas, anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.