internal/external cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for good quality internal and external cables for my project. There will quite a lot that I will need to use as there are 4 cabinets in total that are all over 1 metre tall.

Cant decide if its worth paying a lot more or is basic internal cable fine, will I get what I pay for?
I do like silver cables, for the fact that silver is a better conductor, but does that make it better sound quality. I have been searching the net, but so confused my brain hurts. Do I get some thats £3 a metre or spend (the project is in no hurry so am prepared to wait and save if better cable is worth it) £30 a metre.
Also is it better to use the same outside as inside. I would have thought it was better to keep the same.

help:dead:

Graham,
The sound of cable (or not) is something that is debated endlessly, mercilessly and childishly across the world of audio.

I suggest that you experiment and then you will know the answer for yourself.

People cannot ever agree whether it even makes a difference.
Some believe that differences can be heard due to differing capacitance, inductance and resistance.
Others believe that different metals make a difference but don't know why.
Most people believe that the connections are equally or more important.
Some clever people spend thousands on cables.
Some clever people use ordinary mains cable for their speakers.

My opinion? I have heard differences for myself before but I have not tried double blind testing where I couldn't know which cable I was listening to.
The human mind is very easilly influenced by fancy packaging, internet reviews and inflated price tags.

In summary: I cannot positively conclude whether it even matters at all.

Good luck!

Sonusthree said:
Graham,
The sound of cable (or not) is something that is debated endlessly, mercilessly and childishly across the world of audio.

I suggest that you experiment and then you will know the answer for yourself.

People cannot ever agree whether it even makes a difference.
Some believe that differences can be heard due to differing capacitance, inductance and resistance.
Others believe that different metals make a difference but don't know why.
Most people believe that the connections are equally or more important.
Some clever people spend thousands on cables.
Some clever people use ordinary mains cable for their speakers.

My opinion? I have heard differences for myself before but I have not tried double blind testing where I couldn't know which cable I was listening to.
The human mind is very easilly influenced by fancy packaging, internet reviews and inflated price tags.

In summary: I cannot positively conclude whether it even matters at all.

Good luck!

thats a very good point, I have only ever had someone give me loads of waffle at a demo then upon listening to the cable I think, well it does sound good, but is that the fact that its a pretty colour and the guy sells it well, probably! I also have never done a blind test. Cheers guys I think that has made up my mind, as no one has said conclusively "yes buy the £40 a metre stuff its amazing"!
I will buy the £2 a metre stuff, had it before and was impressed, probably because it seemed, in looks, size and feel exactly the same as my chord odyssey (£15 a mtre) I had previously.
or was it the same, only without the guff!

:apathic:

I have been wanting to do this test for a long time now: I want to break in at someone that experiences large differences between loudspeaker cables and swap his cables for normal cables with a resonable area without him knowing it.

Then wait and see how long time it takes for him to discover it.

Moahahahaha... :D

I guess if you have a very expensive 1watt single ended triode amplifier sensitive to the fazes of the moon, there may be a difference. Read up on this.
http://www.theaudiocritic.com
He has a whole article explaining the swindle in the hi-end audio.
The truth is, in the double blind test, nobody has been able to hear the difference between cables.
Your gage and connections are more important compare to the material. Go with 12 on the woofer and 14 on mid or tweeter and you’ll be fine.

1. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
2. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
3. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
4. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
5. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
6. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
7. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
8. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
9. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
10. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
11. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
12. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
13. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
14. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
15. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
16. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
17. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
18. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
19. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
20. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
21. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
22. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
23. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
24. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
25. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
26. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
27. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
28. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
29. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
30. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
31. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
32. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
33. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
34. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
35. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
36. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
37. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
38. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
39. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
40. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
41. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
42. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
43. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
44. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
45. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
46. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
47. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
48. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
49. I will not post on speaker cable threads.
50. I will not post on speaker cable threads.

:smash:
:bawling:

Dont waste your money on wires, Just buy the best drivers you can afford And If you still have plenty of money left, Spend it on room acoustic treatment.

Room acoustic treatment and speaker drivers have more influence on the sound than wires.

And dont forget to make resonant free box and build high quality XO.

If you've already done all of the above, But still have money burning your pocket, Spend it on softwares, Or buy a new 1080 front projector and a surround system, Or build a dedicated home theater, with lazy boy seats.

As long as you have a decent quality ordinary speaker wires, You'll be fine.

The last thing you should do is buy exotic wires.

right I think that has anwered my question, cheers guys, this place is exactly what I was looking for. Going to the Bristol show in a few weeks, might take some cheap cable with me, and ask the nordost guy demoing the £3000 a metre silly cable to try these against it, lets see what he says, probably baffle me with sales waffle and get out of the test.
Still no more expensive wire for me ever again.

My head has stopped hurting :D

grahamfocal said:
right I think that has anwered my question, cheers guys, this place is exactly what I was looking for. Going to the Bristol show in a few weeks, might take some cheap cable with me, and ask the nordost guy demoing the £3000 a metre silly cable to try these against it, lets see what he says, probably baffle me with sales waffle and get out of the test.
Still no more expensive wire for me ever again.

My head has stopped hurting :D

Make sure your salesman doesn’t change the volume. Our ears are capable of hearing slight difference in the SPL and it can be presented by savvy sales person as a “can’t you hear how much more detailed this thing is”?
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=100-660
I normally use this wire and at I shrug at $1.48 per foot price but it looks so damn cool.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.