Machining of Shapal M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

There's a thread going elsewhere, discussing various materials for manufacturing of phono cartridge bodies. An interesting material - Shapal M - was mentioned.

I did a bit of googling to find out more and this material appears to be machineable with 'conventional' cutters on milling machines and lathes.

I also saw that RS Components seems to stock the material.

Does anyone have firsthand experience of machining or working with this ceramic?

bulgin

If I remember correctly, Shapal M is based on Aluminium Nitride.

I have used a different machinable ceramic, a so called glass ceramic based on a fluoride system. The material was called Macor. I didn't do the machining myself, but designed the parts, and had them made in the lab's workshop. I could probably ask somebody if it was going to be any help.

Hi Pigletsdad

Happy New Year to you. I machine anodiseable aluminium for a living and I'm aware of the blunting effect 10 or 15microns of anodising has on milling cutters when you try and mill the stuff off.

As far as I know, diamond-loaded machine tools would be needed to do the job but it would be interesting to learn how your lab machined the ceramic you used.

Thanks for your kind reply

bulgin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.