ebayer sucks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On or about Dec 1, I wandered into ebay looking for a Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier. I found a buy it now and purchased it. I sent Paypal payment to the owner promptly and an email asking when he would be sending it out. Several days later I receive an email telling me he is refunding my money because his child dropped a clamp on the driver board and broke the driver tubes. I told him I would take it anyway and he sent my money back.

This is a violation of ebay policy as both parties have to agree to a refund. I contacted ebay and they were very interested but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.

I just saw that this *** has the same amplifier listed again except minus the tubes. When I purchased it had all the tubes.
Now, looking at his feedback I noticed that he sold the output tubes and rectifier tubes for a bunch.

This current ebay number is 260200257846

I would avoid this person.

Does anyone know how to make MSN mail show everything in case this happens again?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
burnedfingers said:
On or about Dec 1, I wandered into ebay looking for a Dynaco Stereo 70 amplifier. I found a buy it now and purchased it. I sent Paypal payment to the owner promptly and an email asking when he would be sending it out. Several days later I receive an email telling me he is refunding my money because his child dropped a clamp on the driver board and broke the driver tubes. I told him I would take it anyway and he sent my money back.

This is a violation of ebay policy as both parties have to agree to a refund. I contacted ebay and they were very interested but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.

I just saw that this *** has the same amplifier listed again except minus the tubes. When I purchased it had all the tubes.
Now, looking at his feedback I noticed that he sold the output tubes and rectifier tubes for a bunch.

Does anyone know how to make MSN mail show everything in case this happens again?

Did you leave negative feedback at eBay? Most sellers hate that big time. Just say in a few words what happend, factually, like: "I paid the Buy Now price but seller refunded and didn't ship"

Jan Didden

burnedfingers said:

Hi.

An unfortunate story but all too common nowadays.

You should report the story to Ebay (if not already done) quoting all the listing numbers etc.
I recently bid on an AppleMac laptop, not cheap!! My suspicions were aroused when the seller requested payment by Western Union and disclosed they were in Romania not the USA as it said on the listing.
I reported this to Ebay, the transaction was cancelled and the seller is blacklisted.

I never reveal my email address. That way all communication is via Ebay Messages and can be traced. (My hotmail account is set to save sent mail as well as received.)

Good luck
Andy

Hi,

Sorry to hear. As one who has also been burned, you have my sympathy :(

burnedfingers said:
....but unfortunately I was unable to make my email show the times and servers and identification they needed to nail his ***.

Can you view the email source? That's what you need to send to Ebay.... it has all the info. There's a "Source Viewer" plugin for Mozilla products, as well as Eudora.

Good luck!

Hi,

sss said:
i also have problems @ ebay :(
i bought a big package in 1000$ total via paypal .
the dude said he sent the stuff , but i didnt get nothing yet (almost a month)
can i do anything?

If it was sent surface, you can wait four months. That's why I only use air ;)

If it was insured (at $1,000 I hope it was!), you can have him start an insurance claim. If he was a Canadian you bought from, our postal pays up claims quick with little hassles.

Cheers!

Dear Burnedfingers

I expected the worse when I started to use ebay, the truth
of the matter is the vast majority of ebayers are courteous
polite civilised gentlemen, it's only the occasional crettin that
ruins an otherwise essential service.

These things happen, you move on - I had a similarly
dissapointing transaction where I successfully bid for a
Meridian pre-amp only to be told a day later that he had
taken it to the post office in order to weigh it and thereby
determine shipping costs, but had unfortunately dropped
it and the Meridian was now in 'tatters'.
I didn't press the issue because I figured there was no way
I was ever going to get the Meridian in anything other than
'tatters' but on the positive side I did get a positive
feedback.

The gentleman in question went under the moniker of
STEVIE WONDER, now whenever I hear anything by the
real Stevie Wonder I crack-up - I was never much of a
Stevie Wonder fan anyway so it's not a big loss one way
or another.

Good luck with future purchases, the Dynaco is a worthwhile
product but you would do better building something similar
yourself.

Yours Sincerely
John

PS
I know my post doesn't really help you resolve anything
but on the positive side of things I am a 'newbie' and need
to make a number of posts before I am allowed full
member status so this post will hopefully get me closer to
full member status and hopefully brought a smile to your face.

I agree most of the people are on the up and up and you can usually weed out real losers. I've been burnt both as a buyer and seller, never for more than 100 bucks or so. One bit of advice always use tracked shipping and never throw away the tracking slips.

One buyer waited until day 89 to cancel via his credit card. I even had a dated email from him thanking me for receipt of the item. Ebay accepted ONLY the tracking number as proof of receipt.

At least you got your money back.

Seems to me like he was trying to be helpful, but didn't realise that he was in breach of the rules and that you would have been happy re-tubing it.

Your experience seems better than that of most people that have had their fingers burnt (sorry!) on ebay, but it is obviously annoying.

james

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Joe,
There is nothing I can do but let it go now.
My problem with Ebay is that the gear almost never works. I just bought an HP 3580A supposedly working. Well, it doesn't and I'm sure this was knowing, but disclaimers shield the seller pretty well. Books and some parts are okay (never buy popular, discontinued output transistors!), and gear that is listed as not working. Almost all "working" gear I have bought was not as described and had obvious faults.

I have to agree that most ebay sellers are honest and it only takes a few to ruin it. Most people (myself included) can not afford to repair the out and out rips.

Your case simply sounds like a new ebayer who didn't honor his contract. I'll bet you would have gotten a strike if the deal went the other way. Besides, he couldn't go through with the deal unless he broke the board himself. Otherwise you would have caught him in a lie.

"Eeeeekbay"!

-Chris

anatech said:
Hi Joe,

My problem with Ebay is that the gear almost never works. I just bought an HP 3580A supposedly working. Well, it doesn't and I'm sure this was knowing, but disclaimers shield the seller pretty well. Books and some parts are okay (never buy popular, discontinued output transistors!), and gear that is listed as not working. Almost all "working" gear I have bought was not as described and had obvious faults.

I have to agree that most ebay sellers are honest and it only takes a few to ruin it. Most people (myself included) can not afford to repair the out and out rips.

Your case simply sounds like a new ebayer who didn't honor his contract. I'll bet you would have gotten a strike if the deal went the other way. Besides, he couldn't go through with the deal unless he broke the board himself. Otherwise you would have caught him in a lie.

"Eeeeekbay"!

-Chris

It's really too bad, one of our guys got a Tek 7000 series with 4 great plug-ins and everything worked like it just came from cal. The price: $125, I'm still jealous.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Scott,
Well, so am I. Two 'scopes not working from Ebay, several RF power meters, selective level meter, two 3336B, 3478A DVM, one 3324A and several RF signal generators. Not to mention the 3580A.

I did get a couple things that worked, don't tell anyone though! Some stuff I've been able to repair and others that are clearly beyond mortal help. I just got another HP 435A from SVC in California today. Completely unlike the listing and broken (unusable).

I have done far better on Microchip uP's and programmers. I am saving up for a hot air smd rework station. At least these are new.

Mind you, I've seen much worse from people buying audio gear from Ebay.

-Chris

Hi Chris.

I've been looking at fleaBay for some bench equipment. There is a store (TeleTek) that lists items as verified, tested, and calibrated.

There are return policies in place, even if "just not happy".
Generally seems a safer way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
David.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,
Reputation is worth more than a return policy. Shipping to me is very expensive, so that offer is just wind. They generally do not refund shipping even if the problem is entirely theirs.

There are some Ebay stores with very good reputations. I keep losing those by a buck or two, or the stuff goes well beyond my budget. Keep in mind that it normally costs me an extra $100 ~ $200 USD for shipping. Add $30 ~ $40 for UPS "paper work fees" or $20 ~ $40 for Fedex "paper work" fees. This is known as clearing. Then there is a little tax on top. Sometimes over 10 %. It isn't possible to recover the bulk of these fees and some ebay stores are aware of this. It depends on the games they want to play. Returning product is not an option for Canadians as a rule. Some stores commit fraud knowingly by shipping product that does not match the description. This has just happened to me - again.

So the safest way to buy is to shop with honest shops. Either buy stuff known to be non-functional at reduced pricing, or pay the big bucks at a higher end vendor. Anything else is chance. Hint: I never play cards (bad luck).

-Chris

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the reply. As far as reputation, I only have the feedback section for reference.

I would definitely prefer a local shop, but the only places I've located so far, deal in new units. Too much $$$.

As for the shipping between Canada and the US, I agree. Its expensive. I'd like to be able to obtain Plitron LoNo's, but shipping is about $120US each. (UPS website)

I'll keep looking. Again, thanks for the reply. Lots of good info.

Regards,
David.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi David,
To be honest with you, USPS has been good (except around Christmas) and Fedex tends to be way more reasonable than UPS. UPS have convinced themselves that they are the cheapest game in town. Not so!

You will find the border paper work fees from UPS quite unreasonable.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I was just indicating that shipping between US and Canada seemed to be high. (Due to weight of a transformer)

I've not had any problems with light weight items (Pet Meds).

I didn't compare the difference in prices for shippers, since Plitron indicated they use UPS. I'm not sure if this even included any taxes, duties, paper work, etc.

It just seems that if, (a big if), I can find what I need within the US, it would be less expensive. Plitron does seem to build really good units!

The info you offered is appreciated, and quite useful too! ;)

Regards,
David.

anatech said:
Hi David,
Cool. It never hurts to ask about shipping, and the clearing fees are generally billed over and above. Ouch.

See if Plitron has a US distributor. I still prefer Hammond EI cores.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I wasn't even aware of clearing fees. Definitely needed to know that. :eek:
I haven't seen a US distributor, but it would be worth double checking.

How much space is required for a large EI anyway? I've been concerned with limited space & noise. (Par for the course? :D )

Thanks,
David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.