Aaaahahahahaha!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't read french, The cotton insulated wire for the main power cord looks dangerous.

Construction is a little bit..... rough.

They have peeled the plastic off the capacitors then draw all over then in marker pen, looks ugly!

I do like the wooden knobs and switches.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Zen Mod said:
I'm not laughing ;

you can see few interesting things there
OK dude, let's go over it:
1. Photo 1. Cotton-insulated power cable. Boy, I sure hope he doesn't have any spills in the area!
2. Photo 2. Those two wooden eggs, I'm sure they're pulling some special magic and damping bad vibrations in the amp!
3. Wooden case, because any shielding anywhere affecting the class D module EMI has got to sound bad!
4. Photos near the end. Unshielded fans close to the audio circuitry for the win!
5. Cotton insulated cables--because cotton is full of air and has lower dielectric constant than teflon--never mind that this only holds true in a very dry atmosphere as cotton absorbs moisture--I'm sure he has a dehumidifer in his house on a very high setting!
6. Peeled capacitors. Because the cheap plastic coating makes the sound muddled and the highs squishy!
7. Cryogenically treated wires. Because we can all hear the change; who cares that the electrical properties are unchanged!

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
analog_sa said:
Clueless and proud with it. Or just a cute Christmas Troll?
Your comment is worthless as you fail to adress a single one of my points.

And even if I'm clueless, I'm pretty sure the pro audio people are not, and they're laughing at this as well (with the exception of the usual Russian crackpot): http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25151

I especially love this comment: "My grandpa tuned the wooden knobs, to the same frequency as his wooden ears." :D

Oops. Just finished editing it. Your points are largely irrelevant to the shortcomigs of the design. If you mentioned parasitic inductance of the caps, unnecessarily long wiring loops, generally bad construction technique for class D, it would have made some sense.

Prices?! Got me lost here. What has price got to do with anything?

All the design techniques he uses contribute to good sound in a tube or simple SS amp (gainclone?). At least according to my and many other audiophile's first hand, actual and not theoretical experience. If they work well for class D i don't know. I have some doubts.

Still I wouldn't be too surprised if this class D still sounds better than a textbook class D.

Yes, i have heard the claim that high end audio doesn't really exist. That anything above mid-fi is just a waste of money and effort. Sadly, this economical viewpoint goes against my 30 years of experimenting with audio.

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
analog_sa said:
Yes, i have heard the claim that high end audio doesn't really exist. That anything above mid-fi is just a waste of money and effort. Sadly, this economical viewpoint goes against my 30 years of experimenting with audio.
I do believe that high end audio exists--but I still take the rational path--there exists a good deal of research, such as Geddes' showing THD doesn't correlate with perception of distortion, or the thermal memory distortion stuff, both published in AES. So theory doesn't disagree with high end audio in general, even though it makes some things ludicrous (silver vs copper, for example). But you saying "experimenting" is a vague thing. The critical question is how the experiments were evaluated. The valid viewpoint is one backed up in a specific way: not by measurement (until a metric is found which has been found to sufficiently well correlate with perception of distortion), and not by casual listneing, but proper blind testing methodology (and of course, taking into consideration the possibility that sub-conscious threshold differences may be only noted over extensive listening periods and in terms such as listener fatigue or general feeling about the sound--but this can still be done blind).

jacco vermeulen said:
Then try Herr Schmidlin's commercial website : Zapp

(you'll just love his $80K-$100K R-Evo woody turntable, his wooden box transformers are fun as well)

I've tried it on many occassions :) Probably i'm not hard core enough to fully appreciate it. Some good ideas. Others not so inspiring.

Obviously, i haven't heard any of his stuff but some features deserve respect. The indescribable fugliness as Nordic aptly put it, the low tech, both inside an out appearance can put all but the most devoted audiophiles off.

So, my thinking is: if it's so amazingly unattractive but someone still buys it it's got to sound amazing :)

Hey N,

Fugly?..... Nahhh...... Sfugly!

That's the next step worse!LOL

Who cares about how it sounds, the Sfugly-ness makes the statement that if it looks this bad and it is in my system, it HAS to sound increadible! Yes Increadibly SFUGLY, I can't comment on the sound!

Not to mention a new use for IKEA furniture.

BTW, Happy New Year to you all and Nordic's cats too!

Regards//Keith

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.