Bad Cell Phones Wont Ignore Unavailable, Restricted Numbers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a relatively ordinary Kyocera KX414 cell phone.

I get lots of calls from people I don't know and don't want to talk to. Most of these numbers are either Restricted or Unavailable.

Is there any telephone firmware or service that will block numbers that are restricted, unavailable or not from the right area codes?

I called U.S. Cellular, a small carrier in central USA. I asked them if there was any phone on the planet that could block calls that weren't on a "white list". They said there was no technical way to accomplish that. That phones were required to ring when they received a signal.

So is there a phone or firmware hack to a phone that will let me shut out the telemarketers myself!?!?!?

Well that's what I was thinking. But US Cellular said there's no way they could maintain many people's lists of which numbers are good and which numbers are bad. They claimed it was technically not possible to offer the service.

Any services(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc) that do allow you to block Unavailable and Restricted calls?

Are there any laws against a cell carrier from doing that?

I'd pay $10 a month to not get these calls. So I don't know why someone hasn't figured a way out to sell me the service.

I just don't know why my phones firmware couldn't mute the ringer when the call is from Unavailable or Restricted.

Any services(Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc) that do allow you to block Unavailable and Restricted calls?

I doubt it. Although it is possible, it would be labor intensive. Things aren't set up to be automated or 'global' in this fashion.

I suppose it would be possible to get this done if there were issues of legality or harassment.

The nastiest thing you can do to an unwanted caller who is trying to sell you something is waste their time so they cannot call someone else.

You tell them what they want to hear, but do not commit to anything, my record is 42 minutes before they realised I was deliberately wasting their time. If every person did this they would only make about 20 calls per day, instead of bothering hundreds of people.

Another time I had my couch and all of my sitting room vacuumed and shampooed by a Kirby Vacuum cleaner salesman. They usually only do a small spot but they seriously thought I was going to buy the machine and I moved the furniture before they could object.

Australia has a "National Do Not CAll Register" but if I used that it would spoil my game with these people.

DigitalJunkie said:
Some phones (like the newer "Chocolate") will let you ignore restricted/unknown numbers.

If your phone lets you set ringers for different numbers/contacts,maybe try adding a "restricted" entry to your phonebook,and turn off the ringer for it. That way,any numbers that show up as "restricted" will just be muted. ;)

If the phone supports it for Restricted/Unavailable that would certainly be the elegant solution. Just use a muted ring tone.

OzMikeH said:
The nastiest thing you can do to an unwanted caller who is trying to sell you something is waste their time so they cannot call someone else.

You tell them what they want to hear, but do not commit to anything, my record is 42 minutes before they realised I was deliberately wasting their time. If every person did this they would only make about 20 calls per day, instead of bothering hundreds of people.

Another time I had my couch and all of my sitting room vacuumed and shampooed by a Kirby Vacuum cleaner salesman. They usually only do a small spot but they seriously thought I was going to buy the machine and I moved the furniture before they could object.

Australia has a "National Do Not CAll Register" but if I used that it would spoil my game with these people.

I don't care for receiving calls from these folks either, and it's fun to mess with them. Don't think I care for the Kirby prank, however. At some point, it's just cruel, to a guy who's just trying to make an honest buck. The telemarketers deserve what they get, they know how annoying it is, but a door to door guy who made the effort to come to you, and doesn't visit during odd hours, deserves a straight answer methinks.

badman said:

I don't care for receiving calls from these folks either, and it's fun to mess with them. Don't think I care for the Kirby prank, however. At some point, it's just cruel, to a guy who's just trying to make an honest buck. The telemarketers deserve what they get, they know how annoying it is, but a door to door guy who made the effort to come to you, and doesn't visit during odd hours, deserves a straight answer methinks.

I think you're right there. I had a bad run at the time and it is rather mean thinking back on it.
If It's any consolation my neighbour dropped in to see what the noise was from the machine he eventually bought one. His kids stand on it and ride it around the house to clean it. one tough machine.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.