• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are 6DZ7 to Rare to be fun?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
astouffer said:
Tom you must mean a 6DZ7. They probably weren't made in large quantities to begin with. I think theres one guitar amp that used a 6DZ7.

6DY7 was a common replacement for the 6DZ7.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/tubes/6dy7.htm

I have 1 6DZ7 in my collection and have been looking for a few more, But they do not seem to turn up often on fleabay.

My thinking is in my crowded chassis in my combo guitar amp I can free up the space of 1 octal and use the extra room for a reverb driver.

Then of course I had a couple other ideas also, Like a 36W bluesbreaker :D

Trout

6DZ7 is basically a dual 7189. 6DY7 is closer to a dual 6L6, though of course limited in dissipation. They can be interchanged to some degree by adjusting bias... drop 6DZ7s into the Stromberg ASR422 and they'll be biased in class C unless you make some resistor changes.

One of the Strombergs passed through my hands - I sold it for a friend. Details on this amp are on my web page: http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/MadeInRoch.html

Jaime said:
This is very interesting

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/tubediy/messages/12/124726.html
Y.C : (hcyoon@monotec.co.kr

Best regards Jaime

Cool schematic at that site. That tube sure lends itself to less wiring and simple designs.
To bad a current company has not picked up on these yet.

When they do turn up it seems that most sell for under $25.00 US which is still cheaper than the 2 tubes needed to replace them.

Trout

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Another cool PP-Amp using 6DZ7s was published in AudioXPress Feb. 2006 pg. 6 .
"Clamped Bias, AB2, RC-Coupled Amp" by Jim Carlyle.
This article also contains some other interesting feats for tube aficionados.
(Time to get a back issue, ladies & gent's ?)
Greez

Siggi K.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tom Bavis said:
I have a pair... probably will save them in case I run across a Stromberg ASR-422 - that used 6DY7s, which have REALLY become unobtanium.

Hi Tom,
I had an ASP-422 stereo amplifier about 16 yrs ago, what a nice sounding little amplifier. I don't remember much about it, unfortunately I needed money rather badly at the time and quickly sold it to a collector. I have never seen another one anywhere. The 6DY7 were completely impossible to find even then, and I remember very clearly that the 6DZ7 was not nearly as good sounding in that amplifier compared to even the tired 6DY7 it came with. (This required a change in the bias supply to use it.) The buyer actually had a couple of nib 6DY7 and so was going to restore the amplifier to use that tube instead of the 6DZ7s I had fitted.

I looked at your page, and the amplifier you photographed had a lot of modifications.
(Hum pots, balance pots, and the bias jacks are not OEM, but you probably knew that..:D )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.