Kef 104/2 need information

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Serratoga said:
Hi Everyone,
I own a pair 104/2 in great original shape, my question is .... Can I use a Kef Cube 200 with the 104/2? What advantage is there by using the cube?
My speakers are powered by a Marantz 2325.

Thank You.
Slate
I have a pair of K104/2 (soon to be for sale). The Kube 200 is the correct unit for it. I've not used one but it's a LF peaking filter that gives more LF extension. Other's who've posted about it here have commented it damages the transparency of the speaker. They work nicely with a good sub and I think that would be a better oprion.
So would a new amp. I like old Marantz amps (my first piece of kit ever was a 2285B, and I still have one) and the amp is definitely limiting the potential of the speakers.

Here is some information for the 104/2 KUBE, from my installation manual. Compare this with the specs of the 200 KUBE.

"104/2 KUBE provides two types of equalisation, one fixed, the other variable.

Fixed: provides response shaping for the Model 104/2 system ... broad mid and high-frequency equalisation.

Variable: Two controls, Contour and Extension.

Contour -- Continuously variable shelf control +/- 3 dB. Shelf centre frequency 160 Hz.

Extension -- Push-button control allows cut-off frequency to be set to 35 Hz or 20 Hz with Q factor = 0.5.

Input impedance 100 K ohm
Output impedance 100 ohm
Maximum input voltage >2V rms
Maximum output voltage >5V rms"

I do not believe the 200 KUBE is designed for use with the 104/2 speaker, but you could try it anyway and see if you like it. I do not know the specs of the 200 KUBE. There may be a danger that the 200 KUBE may give more bass boost than the 104/2 can handle, resulting in distortion or damage to the drivers. This would probably only be a risk at loud volume levels.

The benefit of the 104/2 KUBE, according to the manual, is "improved stereo perspective and the naturalness of, in particular, voices and strings" along with lowering the bass extension from 55 Hz to either 35 Hz or 20 Hz (-6 dB, Q=0.5).

When I listen to my 104/2 with or without the 104/2 KUBE, the difference is fairly subtle. I currently use a pre-pro with DSP-based Room Eq which eliminates the need for the KUBE. I also use a subwoofer when I watch a movie, which eliminates the need for deep bass extension.

Bottom line: if you already have a 200 KUBE, compare the specs, and if they are similar, then try it (carefully, at low to moderate volume) and see how you like it. If you don't already have a 200 KUBE, don't buy one. Buy a 104/2 KUBE instead -- they appear on Ebay once in a while. I am keeping my 104/2 KUBE so that I can include it with the speakers if I ever sell them -- although I have no plans to do that!

Or, just skip the KUBE and enjoy what you have now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.