Best regulated power supply.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jan,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I know it's very subjective.
Built a few variations including . Ex with TL431, 3 terminal
with LT regulators, Sulzer etc. Even tried Guildo Tents
suggestion at placing caps at the ic's vdgn or adgn pins
with an inductor to reduce capacitance n reducing ground
loop. It seems that different regulators do instill a sound
of their own on the dac. Some better some worst.

JC951t said:
Hi Guys,
With all the interest in Nos, I was wondering
if anyone could share their experiences as to
which regulator design is best suited for the
TDA 1541 in terms of sound quality.

Thank you

Hi

WIth power supplies, a few parameters are important:

- Input impedance
- Input to output rejection
- Output impedance
- Output current / voltage
- Load ripple, sink - source requirements
- Output noise

I may have forgotten a few......

Depending on the circuit demands, one can optimise the circuit, whereas the load requirements often define the type of reg: series or shunt.

best

Guido

Hi Guido,
If you're reading this. May I ask what type
of inductor do you recommend for connection
to the vdd pins of a dac ? I could only get ones
that are coil round a ferrite. Problem with this
is that the sound is darker & not as lively as
without the inductor.

Many Thanks

JC951t said:
Hi Guido,
If you're reading this. May I ask what type
of inductor do you recommend for connection
to the vdd pins of a dac ? I could only get ones
that are coil round a ferrite. Problem with this
is that the sound is darker & not as lively as
without the inductor.

Many Thanks

Hi

I use ferrite beads, typically > 100 ohms at 10 MHz, for example Murata BL02RN2R1M2B (Farnell 9526846).

When using chokes, always make sure not to create a resonant network with the decoupling cap. This affects sound quality.

best

Guido

suvatn,
I do (almost) the same thing as you.
-18v, -9v and +9v, regulated by LM3x7, and then regulated to -15, -5 & 5 using tl431s.
It sounds very nice and I'm quite pleased with it.

However, I did compare my transport and DAC to Martin Clark's modded Naim CD3.5, and I know there's room for improvement.
Now. Before you fall off you chair having totally wet yourself due to the hilarity of that comment, there is some (albeit twisted) logic in the comparison. Both sources are CDM9, SAA7220P/A, TDA1541A (although his is S1).
My build quality isn't quite up there with Naim (LMAO), and mine's not an S1, but as his sounded senstational, by comparison, mine was thankfully at least vaguely competent.
I think the main differences between Martin's modded Naim, and my hombrew setup is obviously layout, grounding (although I think mine is reasonably star grounded there are no ground planes), and regulation. I know he uses the PFM fleas for his clock, and I believe other parts of his circuit.

I think regulation choice can be as vast a subject matter as DAC, op amp, transistor, cable choice etc. And just like those fields, you could spend a lifetime deliberating over them, or just trying things out and seeing if you're happy with them.

Cheers,
Phil

philpoole said:
suvatn,
I do (almost) the same thing as you.
-18v, -9v and +9v, regulated by LM3x7, and then regulated to -15, -5 & 5 using tl431s.
It sounds very nice and I'm quite pleased with it.

However, I did compare my transport and DAC to Martin Clark's modded Naim CD3.5, and I know there's room for improvement.
Now. Before you fall off you chair having totally wet yourself due to the hilarity of that comment, there is some (albeit twisted) logic in the comparison. Both sources are CDM9, SAA7220P/A, TDA1541A (although his is S1).
My build quality isn't quite up there with Naim (LMAO), and mine's not an S1, but as his sounded senstational, by comparison, mine was thankfully at least vaguely competent.
I think the main differences between Martin's modded Naim, and my hombrew setup is obviously layout, grounding (although I think mine is reasonably star grounded there are no ground planes), and regulation. I know he uses the PFM fleas for his clock, and I believe other parts of his circuit.

I think regulation choice can be as vast a subject matter as DAC, op amp, transistor, cable choice etc. And just like those fields, you could spend a lifetime deliberating over them, or just trying things out and seeing if you're happy with them.

Cheers,
Phil

dear all,

may I suggest to at least upgrade the drive with a decent clock / SPDIF reclocking before you spend more money in the DAC ?

Suggestions for layout can be found here:

http://www.tentlabs.com/InfoSupport/Technology/page35/files/Supply_decoupling.pdf

star grounding is the biggest misconception in audio, and you need a groundplane to maintain signal integrity

best
=
Guido

To Guido

star grounding is the biggest misconception in audio, and you need a groundplane to maintain signal integrity best

A question between the Digital Ground and Analog Ground for a DAC :
The best way is one groundplane ( the same for the analog and digital ) or one for digital and one for the analog and connect the two on one point ?

Best regards

Serge

dear all,

may I suggest to at least upgrade the drive with a decent clock / SPDIF reclocking before you spend more money in the DAC ?

Suggestions for layout can be found here:

http://www.tentlabs.com/InfoSupport..._decoupling.pdf

star grounding is the biggest misconception in audio, and you need a groundplane to maintain signal integrity

best
=
Guido

Hi Guido,

I agree, a groundplane is VERY important, don't get me wrong, but mine's still a prototype :D

My system doesn't use SPDIF, it uses RS423 to transmit the I2S from transport to DAC, and I use a Kwak Clock in the DAC to clock everything (including slaving the decoder in the transport to this clock).
I'd recommend eliminating SPDIF first of all, before investing in the DAC. ;)

Anyway, this is off thread. My main point is regulation by LM3x7 followed by TL431 worked well for me, and I'm very happy with it, but I've heard better - so there's room for improvement (for me).

Cheers,
Phil

You've got me thinking about Lt1033's and I've just compared its datasheet to that of the lm337 and the spec's are pretty much the same! I know they're supposed to be better, but I can't see how.

There is a difference in that one costs 50p, whereas the other is £4.31.

Cheers,
Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.